xviii. Comeback Kid

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

EIGHTEEN COMEBACK KID

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       THE ENTIRETY OF JUNE sees Holly with an ambitious look on her face, her eyes on the prize. She's been allowed a month to prepare for a maze, and she's going to use every second she can to be ready and waiting for the third task. She knows that the other champions are relaxing and know two spells, they'll be fine but that's not how she's going to win. Preparing like that is leaving it to chance — she doesn't know what will be in the maze, and therefore, she's going to ensure she's ready for every single possibility.

       Every morning and every evening, if you looked out into the school grounds, you would be able to spot a girl with white-blonde hair practicing and practicing, with a couple of her friends by her side, alternating to fit her friends' exam schedules. Often Pansy was helping her out, but it was mostly Draco, which quickly became a blessing in disguise. Not only would his presence clear the surrounding area from the other students, but he was a lot more truthful to Holly, in the way only family can be. "Parkinson's obsessed with you, she wouldn't notice how slow you are with the Impediment Curse," he told Holly, the third evening of him helping her practice. The next day, she had that curse down to a science.

       It would be weird, once the tournament was over and done with, to not see a girl outside, practicing as hard as she possibly could. It would be weird for the students hurrying back to dorm rooms before curfew to not see a girl with white-blonde hair bolt past them, accompanied by one of her friends looking a little less concerned about getting into trouble. Even on the evening before the final task, the same thing occurs — she hurries back to her dorm room, moving alongside her cousin, and ignoring the note balled-up in her pocket.

       I'm sorry.

       Kitchens, midnight.

       H.

       Holly finds this upon someone throwing it at her head, on her way to her lesson after lunch. She's about to leave the hall with Pansy as she discretely unfolds the tiny piece of parchment, reading the note, and she glances back at where Harry's sitting, then back to Pansy. The two walk to their lesson and Holly ignores her heart sinking.

       Does he even know what he's sorry for? Because for years, by the sounds of things, all of the Gryffindors have held some sort of hatred towards Slytherin — and what? All because they became Death Eaters? Or does it go back even farther than that, back to when the school was being constructed, and just because Salazar Slytherin wanted to open the school only for children of wizarding families, that since then the house has been deemed as evil?