32. Break Me

jealousy is just love and hate at the same time.

drake

__________

WARNING: This chapter contains strong language.

__________

I pulled away from Devon instantly at the sound of Damian's furious protest. It was so unusual to hear him curse; he had to be more than angry.

And he was.

His lips were tightly pressed together in a grimace of contempt, his chest heaving with rage and his eyes scathing. He looked akin to a scorned fallen angel, ready to tear apart mountains and swirl oceans. Everyone goggled at him with a mixture of surprise and fear, and even Jasmine had let go of his waist, stepping back.

I didn't know whether to be flattered that he was reacting this way or concerned.

But Devon wasn't daunted in the slightest. His lips curved into a derisive smile, as he still kept one of his hands on my hips, as if to provoke the other even more.

"What's your problem, Belfort?" he jeered, making all the students in the living room turn their heads towards us. "Don't know how to accept defeat?"

"I only see one loser here." he countered, striding to us. Every movement of his was calculated, like a predator lurking his prey. "Take your hands off her." he added.

Devon and I got to our feet. I immediately distanced myself from him, wanting to avoid the conflict at any cost, but he grabbed my hand instead and pulled me close to him again.

"What are you, her bodyguard? Her boyfriend? Fuck off."

"I am both, actually." he uttered with a deadly smile, his words raising shocked clamours.

Wait, what?

Taken aback and left speechless, the blonde let go of my hand as Damian advanced. Within the blink of an eye, he thumped the other in the jaw, the immense force making Devon stagger back and almost fall.

"That's for touching her." he hissed, striking him again relentlessly and not giving him a chance to retaliate. "That's for being a conceited arse and not knowing your place."

I watched appalled, not capable of uttering a word, no matter how much I wanted to tell them to stop, as Devon regained his balance and punched him back. I winced as if I could feel Damian's pain. He lashed out at him ferociously and knocked him to the ground, and I finally found my voice:

"Stop them!" I yelled, making the others jump.

The other boys came to their senses too and reacted. Joseph intervened first, and Paul right after him, striving to separate the two. Hayden and Liam joined them, and managed to drag the blonde away. Joseph took his brother by his arm and wanted to help him get up, but Damian shoved him aside. He had blood coming out of his nose and a bruise was already forming on the side of his left cheek. He glanced at me and exhaled wearily, his chest rising and falling as he tried to catch his breath. Something snagged inside me. He looked so broken, and not because of his physical wounds.