Chapter || Twenty-Four

"Sorry I missed your call I was in the shower."

"He talked to me."

"Who?"

"Demitri."

"Why are you whispering?"

"Because I'm still in shock."

"He's a person too."

"I know and your voice was in my head when I realized he was actually talking to me and not Josie."

"Who's Joise?"

"Another girl on set."

"So you talked to him and didn't faint, that's good."

"It was and I think I probably talked his ear off when he brought up me not showing up to his party."

"I told you, you should've went."

"I didn't want to take a chance getting rejected at his door so sue me."

"So what did he say?"

"He said he was looking for me and invited me to another party but I told him that I already had plans."

"Do you?"

"Well yeah. The carnival is this weekend and I had plans to go before he told me about his party."

"You're going to stand him up for a Ferris Wheel and elephant ears?"

"I'll have you know, elephant ears are a delicious treat from heaven topped with the tears of angels."

"Want to know a secret?"

"Sure."

"I've never been to a carnival."

"WHAT?!"

"Remember when I told you that people are always watching me?"

"Yeah."

"It's still true and they ruin any kind of fun so I don't even try."

"Why won't you tell me what you do?"

"Why haven't you invited me to go with you to the carnival?"

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"If I invite you to the carnival, will you tell me what you do that's got you hiding?"

"As long as you continue to answer my calls, deal."

"Why wouldn't I answer your calls?"

"Deal?"

"MG."

"Snow."

"Tell me your name."

"I'll tell you my name, what I do for a living, why I'm hiding, and everything in between when we meet."

"That's five days away."

"Too far away?"

"NO! I mean, no. It's not too far. I'm just -"

"Nervous?"

"Well yeah."

"Don't be. Just make me one promise."

"Go on."

"You'll answer my calls afterwards. Once the day is over and we go our separate ways you'll still pick up the phone when I call. You won't send me to voicemail or watch it ring. Promise me you'll pick up, Runner. Promise me."

"MG -"

"Do you value our friendship like I do because if you don't I'll hang up and never call you again. I'll cry myself to sleep every night but I'll leave you alone. I like what we have and I don't want to lose it."

"Are you done?"

"Yes."

"I promise."

--   --   --