ii | all rise

Ya'll really blessed me wow. Potere ranked #29 in Action a few days after the update and I want to thank each and every one of you for your votes, comments, theories, and heartbroken cries for help.

I hope you stick around for – what I hope – will be an iconic journey.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

Men stand in adoration and respect as we walk by. Dressed in tailored, fitted suits, they stand on either side of the makeshift path they have created for us, which leads from our ride, through the Luciano family mansion, and into the conference room for the mandatory meeting Liam has arranged. With arms already folded behind their backs, they bow their heads as we pass.

Liam walks with purpose on my left, his jaw set, his gaze resting on the beautiful suburban mansion that is now considered the headquarters of the Luciano family. His hands are busy working buttons of his jacket; unbuttoning them, then redoing. A gap separates us as we walk side by side, our shoulders occasionally brushing together. I can't remember the last time he's touched me; in bed or out of it. I'm even having a hard time recollecting the last kiss we shared.

I'm upset with him – with everything that's going on – but I must admit to just how good he looks today. His wine-colored suit fits him perfectly, giving definition to his shoulders, arms, even his thighs. Studs are nestled in his ears, while the rare rays of sunlight make his white dress shirt seem even brighter than it already is. His hair is disheveled in the purposely messy style I've come to love.

Dominic trails us, along with Luciano's security detail. A group of six men – often times more, sometimes less – are dressed in tactical gear, their glocks finding a home in the holster that's wrapped around their thighs. Large, semi-automatic rifles are strapped to their backs, easily within reach in case something goes down. They all maintain an emotionless expression, trained to never let their attention fall from the man they've sworn to protect.

We march up the steps together, our footsteps creating a synchronized sound. Liam breaks away from my side and sharply turns to face me as I pause in front the doors that are being held open for us. I can't pinpoint the exact moment when it was made known that I, Faith Crawford, had to walk through the magnificently large doors first, but it had become a ritual that I was now accustom to.

I walk through, then Liam follows.

His hand finds the small of my back for the first physical contact we've shared in weeks. Liam's fingertips barely brush against the fabric of my dress as he leads me past his men – our men. I want to say something, to question him as to why it feels as though he's doing everything he can to not touch me. It will surely lead to an argument, knowing the tone I would speak with isn't a kind one.

Then I see the dejected looks on the faces of a few men we pass. Some look downright exhausted, while others appear unsure, uncertain of what the future holds for them. A couple perk up as we walk by, happy, even borderline elated that their leadership is here to announce what's next, to explain that although the Russians are indeed a threat, we have it all under control.

I bite my lip.

If only they knew that their leadership, the man that they look up to as their King, and the woman they've come to respect as their Queen, is falling apart right before their eyes.

We march underneath the archway of the conference room just as a voice commands, "All rise."

Twenty-four of the most influential and important members of Luciano's family rise to their feet as conversations halt, as attentions fall on us. Men that aren't important enough to have a seat at the large, long table – who manage to snag a portion of the wall to rest their backs on - scramble to their feet as we proceed to walk deeper into the room. A few rest a fist over their heart as Liam passes by.