Chapter 17

I'm not totally sure what happened with this chapter, my brain went one way and the story went another so it's more for Sang's closure with her sister than part of the actual plot line :) Anyways, it's Monday and that means update time. I hope everyone had a good week and Happy reading!!!

*Sang*

I blink. Then I blink again. Then I shake my head to clear it, in no way believing this could be real.

"Marie?" I question again when she doesn't respond the first time.

"S-S-S-Sang? Wh-wh-what are you d-doing here?" She asks, her words stuttered through great heaving sobs and I gasp when I see her face.

Her eyes are so bloodshot at first glance they look more red than brown, her face is gaunt and sickly looking, her clothes too big, her skin too pale, and her fingers shake constantly as she holds them to her mouth. All in all, she looks exactly how I must have when I lived with that woman; scared, shaking, sickly, and sad.

Marie what happened to you? I mentally sigh before slowly kneeling down in front of her, North stands sentinel behind me, his silent presence soothing.

"I'll explain later, but right now we need to get you somewhere safe, will you come with us?" I ask quietly, hoping I don't upset her further.

Warily, she looks at North's larger than life body where he stands in the doorway before turning back to me and nodding ever so slightly. "I don't want to be here anymore," she whispers and I hold out my hand for her to take, exhaling a sigh of relief when she finally does.

Carefully, I stand, bringing Marie's frail body with me and I glance a North, asking him silently to call the others and catch them up to speed. Then, I slowly begin to walk with the ghost of my sister and it takes awhile, but eventually we make it to the parking lot and I remember we only have the bike with us.

"Axel and Marc are on their way with the car, should be about five minutes now," North answers my question before I can ask and I smile at him, grateful for his quick thinking. In a very un-North like move, he winks at me, causing me to giggle quietly before I remember where I am, not exactly an appropriate time for laughing.

From the corner of my eye, I can see Marie watching our interaction with a frown, but before I can puzzle out her expression a familiar SUV pulls into the dingy parking lot. A moment later two of my beautiful men jump out of the car, faces serious as they take in Marie, and her body tenses as they come closer.

"It's okay Marie, we know them, they're going to take us to my place and then we can figure out where to go from there, alright?" She nods, though she still seems uncomfortable.

Turning back to the new arrivals I smile at them. "Thanks for getting here so quickly you guys," they both smile at me.

"Anything for you, Gorgeous," Marc winks.

"Doll, no thanks necessary, now why don't we get out of here and get your...friend somewhere safe?" I can tell they're curious who she is to me that I would take her home versus letting the extraction team we'd done recon for get her to safety. To the side I mouth the words 'my sister' and watch as their eyes widen just a fraction, I only noticed because of how close we are.

Without delay, I get Marie situated in the car, but when I move to close the door she grabs my arm in a surprisingly strong manner, eyes wide with terror. "You're not c-coming?" Her whispered words are so full of fear that I know that my night with North will not have the ending I wished for, a glance at him shows how his shoulders slump forward in disappointment as well.

Eyes back on Marie, I nod my head. "I'm coming, promise." Satisfied with my response, she allows me to back away and shut the door.

"Sorry, North Star," I tell him and he shakes his head.