t w e l v e

"You look pretty confident with that bat

"You look pretty confident with that bat."

Pausing his practice swings, Steve looked over at Frankie who was sitting on the couch. Smiling cockily, he continued practicing, "Oh you think?"

Rolling her eyes with a smile, Frankie stayed silent. Something about him with that bat got to her. Resting her head in her palm, she couldn't help the content sigh leave her lips as she watched Steve go to town with the nail covered bat. He was cute when he was trying, she'd give him that. Feeling the heat spread through her cheeks, she diverted her eyes somewhere else trying to distract herself.

"So, was your mom mad that you're out so late?" He asked her absentmindedly, while keeping watch on her from the corner of his eye. He was trying to be nonchalant, but he couldn't help the racing of his heart as her eyes landed on his.

"No, I've been out with Chester way later than this." Noticing the big smile on her face when she mentioned Chester, Steve felt his throat close up a bit.

"So, is uh Chester your boyfriend?" He asked gauging her reaction while swinging the bat a little more forcefully. Hearing the large guffaw come from her lips, Steve tried to keep a straight face but was failing. There was just something about her laugh. "Me and Chester?" She asked incredulously. "Yeah, when pigs fly. He's my best friend, has been for years. I love the guy, but not like that."

Letting out a sigh of relief, Steve felt a bit lighter. This girl had him on his toes, and he wasn't even dating her yet. Stiffening up as his inner dialogue made sure to include the fact that he could be dating her but just not yet, Steve's mind was racing.

The lights began to flicker causing everyone to run to the window to see what was going on. The free feeling Frankie felt when she was talking to Steve disappeared in an instant. Watching the bright lights go on and off in the shed frightened the girl. The lights calmed down after a few minutes and Frankie was relieved when she didn't hear any scary howls coming from the distance.

Minutes seemed to go by as the few people in the house waited patiently for any sign. Good or bad was better than this uncertain feeling rattling Frankie's core. Suddenly, the door opened with the Chief, Jonathan, Joyce, and Mike coming inside the house. Not seeing Will with them, the girl was confused.

"What happened?" Steve asked as soon as they came in. The Chief grabbed an empty envelope from the fixings on the wall and sat down at the table. Everyone surrounded him trying to understand what was going on.

"I think he's talking, just not with words." He said beginning to write something down. Frankie peered over Dustin's shoulder and squinted her eyes at the dots and lines Hopper was drawing on the scratch paper. What the hell was that?

"What is that?" Both Steve and Frankie asked, staring at the paper. "Morse code." Everyone chorused at the two teens. Frankie and Steve shared an embarrassed looked before cracking a small smile.