Chapter 14

"AVA WAKE UP!" Grayson yelled.

"What's wrong?" I sprung from my bed, alert.

"HE RANG ME." Grayson yelled, jumping around my room.

"Who rang you?" I asked, disorientated.

"DONAVAN CARTER FROM COLTON ACADEMY.'' He jumped up and down.

"OMG!" I screamed.

"We're celebrating over breakfast, and go get ready." I hurried him out of my room.

I quickly showered as fast as I could. I couldn't wait to hear about the phone call Grayson had this morning. Throwing on a plain black t-shirt and striped black and white pants, I threw my hair in a high ponytail and applied the minimal makeup of mascara and lip-gloss.

"Ready!" Grayson beamed at my bedroom door.

"Can you pass my white shoes over there please?" I asked, putting some socks on.

"Thank you." I slipped them on after he handed them to me, "Let's go.".

We went to a little diner close by, the smile on Grayson's lips never fading as he spoke about the phone call he received.

"He want's an interview with our parents and said he'd send an email with more details but he said he'd love for me to start as soon as possible." He said, stuffing pancakes into his mouth.

"When would you like to start?" I asked quietly.

"I don't think now is the right time, maybe I can start next year, I don't want to leave you." He said, his eyes full of worry.

"No, it's the best time, tell him you will be there as soon as he can get you in." I said, mustering up my biggest smile for him.

This was the best timing, if what Maceo and Christopher told me was true then I could get Grayson away and safe. He'd also be attending his dream school so it was perfect timing for the both of us. I won't tell Grayson anything regarding the offer because it will only worry him more. Even though I'll miss him like crazy, I'm sure I'd see him every break they had.

"Av, I really don't mind hanging back a year, I can't leave you by yourself." He said, squeezing my hand comforting.

"Grayson I'll be fine by myself, plus this is a big opportunity and it's something mum and dad would be so proud of, so you have to go." I smiled sadly.

"You're sure?" His bright blue eyes held so much care and happiness.

"I'm more than sure but at least give me a week with you before you leave me." I rubbed at my eyes.

We went home later that day and it turns out one of Grayson's friends he had gotten close to over the short amount of time we've been here, also got offered a scholarship so he was even happier as they both agreed to start at the same time, two weeks from today.

"Donavan want's an interview with our parents, how are we going to get Gran to come to it? You know she won't come." Grayson said, his face dropping into a frown.

"Don't worry, I have it covered." I smiled, pulling him into my side.

Our grandmother is a miserable git, she doe's nothing but watches TV all day. She isn't the nicest person but I'm grateful she didn't put us into the system; once I am old enough I will claim full custody of my brother. I didn't know how I was going to pull off this interview without our guardian present but I had to figure out a way.

"When is the Interview?" I asked, looking over his shoulder at the email he had received.

"Tuesday or Wednesday, we can pick which day and what time, we just have to ring to confirm." He said nervously.