eleven

THE NEXT DAY Genevieve woke up with a bright smile on her face.  Even though she had classes today, she would still see Giovanni afterwards at the cafe. Petal purred adorably by her feet, almost as if trying to coax her out of the warm confines of her bed. She almost fell back to sleep, for the bed was just so comfortable. She felt her back sink into the mattress as she stared up at her ceiling for a moment.

She contemplated how rapidly her life was beginning to change and shape into something even more enjoyable. It felt like just yesterday that she had only talked to her grandfather, Clarissa, Mary, Harvey, and Jason.  Now, she had started conversing and connecting with Giovanni, or rather Gio, in a way she hadn't ever before.  To think, the girl who found extreme anxiety from socializing with stranger was developing a romantic bond with exactly that: a stranger.

Genevieve released a contented sigh before hopping off her bed.  She looked over at her alarm clock only to see that she was running impeccably late.  She shrieked before rummaging aggressively through her closet and snatching up a pair of black jeans and a lavender sweater.  She remembered hearing the weather forecast for today and it being cold, windy, and possibly rainy.  Slipping on the articles of clothing, Genevieve then pulled her hair back in a haphazard fishtail braid and adorned her necklace from Gio, and completing her outfit with a pair of white canvas shoes.

She picked up her satchel with all of the textbooks she had prepared the previous evening as well as her reports and her notebook.  Genevieve hurried out the door after blowing Petal a quick kiss; she heard the unmistakable sound of Clarissa honking her horn from outside of her house.  She gasped out for breath, her small body not handling the stress and quick movement as well as she would have liked.  Thankfully, her grandfather greeted her at the foot of the stairs with a packed lunch and breakfast paired with a warm smile.

"Have a good day, sweet heart.  Give me a call when and if you want me to pick you up." With a brief kiss on her forehead, he lightly guided her out the door and onto the driveway to face Clarissa's wrath.

After swinging herself into the passenger seat and slamming the door, Clarissa turned to her with a scowl.  "Why are you so late this morning?  You're usually wicked fucking early."

Genevieve frowned as she fought to catch her breath.  She didn't like her best friend's foul language, no matter the situation or context.  "Please be aware of your language."  She slumped against her seat.  "I woke up really late and didn't have much time to get out the door quick enough." Genevieve sighed dreamily in remembrance of her dreams: she and Gio danced the night away in a starlit pavilion with beautiful music echoing throughout the entire area.  It was the most peaceful and amazing dream she had ever had, and she had never wanted to wake up.  "I'm really sorry."

Clarissa huffed irritably, causing Genevieve to feel even more guilt.  "Whatever.  As long as Professor Simpson doesn't bust down on our asses the minute we step in that damn class late."

And everything was okay; the two could never stay in a "rift" for too long.  Especially one as small as this one.  The rest of the ride was full of Clarissa's gossip and Genevieve's musical laugh.  If only Giovanni was there, Genevieve thought, he would get along so well with her best friend.  A small part of her felt insecure about what would happen if they met: would he find Clarissa's outspokenness and charismatic personality more appealing than her shyness and innocence?  Hopefully not, but Genevieve prayed it would never get to that.

• • •

Thankfully, classes hadn't been too egregious.  Genevieve always coasted through anyways, for she was quite intelligent.  (Despite popular belief).  She was slumped over as she exited her final lecture with heavy eyelids.  She had never felt so lethargic and completely drained of any and all energy.  Plus, she had also learned today that she would soon have multiple exams coming up that she needed to study for.  All she wanted was to be was a child psychologist at an elementary school, and in a few years she would be able to live that dream.