Chapter XXIII

June, 2018. After graduation.

It has been a painfully lonely time, ever since my beloved sister went missing. At first, we thought she was playing pranks on us, sending funky messages that made every little hair stand up at it's peak. 

A long time it has been..

Jordan and I had just graduated Summit High, but it felt wrong to take steps to the future without Allison around, she was my whole world - still is, although now she's proclaimed dead by many. My boyfriend tried his best to fulfill the ever-growing void chipping away at me from the core, I never thought I would have anyone else but my sister, but I guess I don't have her anymore either.

When Allison went missing, we scavenged every little detail, every little clue that may have lead us to finally finding her. We blamed it on the King family, still do, because after what went down - we never saw them again. What was left of my family had been completely ripped apart, disregarded and the who picked those pieces up was Jordan, ah, where do I begin about my broken sunshine, Jordan.

As soon as Allison had indirectly assaulted him by leaving her locker open for exposition, she went crazy about him - not like 'I'm in love' crazy, that's my job, but 'I need him in my life' kind of crazy, you know? I remember his jealous eyes gazing at me when McKenzie was around us, desperately grasping at the seems of my attention, she never failed to catch. We became acquaintances, best friends and ultimately lovers and it feels damn good to say so. But after the shocking disappearance of Allison, things went south for him as well, he restlessly tried to make sense of the situation and get my sister back to us, but all attempts he had made were in vain.

A couple months after all hell broke loose, everyone except us seemed to give up, people presumed that Allison was dead and there was no more hope in this situation. People told us that we should move on and let her rest in peace and shortly we caved in.. Jordan's mother who had become like a mother to me as well, suggested that we should host a funeral for Allison, regardless of her body being nowhere in sight, however, we refused - even though we had stopped our restless and self-destructive search, we never gave up.

I still think, somewhere in the world, Allison was still breathing, living a wonderful life without us.. Maybe she didn't get kidnapped, maybe she just wanted to break free from our issues and my problems and left us, maybe we weren't good enough for her..

Were we?

My depressive pondering was shortly interrupted by Jordan, who wrapped his hands around me and placed his head on my shoulder. "Turning into me, are we now?" He murmured into my neck, causing me to smile. I was indeed becoming a boy who was lost in time, just like Jordan.

"Now, now, don't flatter yourself." I briefly smiled at him, but shortly focused my vision on the familiar lake ahead of us, we were currently lounging in the park we had gone to after getting frozen yogurt, just the three of us, without any care about the real world. A comfortable silence had settled upon us, leaving us reminiscing of our experiences in this city.

Only now had I realize how kaleidoscopic our life had been, one day we'd be at the top of the world, grasping at the seams of euphoria, the other we were even with the mud, unable to pick ourselves up. Our lives are never static, they're always dynamic, constantly unstable - but maybe it's better this way. However, one thing I know for sure, things won't always be this bad, I know they'll change for the better some day. We just have to live and see..

Jordan suddenly stood up and extended his hand, which I took graciously. "I don't think sitting and moping around will do us any good, and I sure as hell don't think Allison would appreciate this. Let's live our best life, let's leave and start over, somewhere we'll find peace from all the games life decides to play." He stated, suddenly full of confidence, a genuine smile resting on his face.

"Fine, but first we'll have to stop by my house, I sure as hell am not leaving Batman." I smiled and perked up.

It seemed momentary before we reached my place, Jordan already sent a text to his mother that seemed to answer with encouragement immediately all was left to take Batman with us and start our adventure.

After stepping out of the car, I suddenly realized something wasn't right here, something was right next to my doorstep, or rather someone. I suddenly jumped up and ran to them, Jordan trailing behind me.

And there was Allison, lying before us, white clothes stained with blood and bruises all over her body. She was unconscious but still breathing. I didn't know what came over us, but we were both frozen in place. She was really here and more importantly, she was alive - maybe unconscious, but alive!

I took of my hoodie and put it over my unconscious sister, prodding her in my arms, looking at my boyfriend with joyful eyes. Maybe the time of redemption was here, maybe this was the universe telling us things would be better from this point on. Suddenly Allison jolted away, with a sudden buzz of energy. Her eyes wide, in complete shock, she took in her surroundings before she turned to us both. "Nathaniel? Jordan? Is that really you...?" She asked in a small voice.

"I mean, I told you multiple times that I prefer Nathan, but Nathaniel will do for now. Yes, we're real, you goof!" I couldn't resist being sassy, even at this very inappropriate moment. Suddenly tears spilled out of my sister's eyes as she hugged me close, Jordan soon joining in as well.

At this moment I had realized. Our journey wasn't coming to an abrupt ending, it was only beginning and there was more to come.

But I had no doubt.

We'd survive it all. Together.

FIN