THIRTY - ONE

[ BEN ]

THE NEXT MORNING, HALO AWOKE EARLY

she was careful to step around a heavily sleeping rey, exhausted from the hours of saber training she had done the day before. her fiery locks were in a wild disarray, her eyes tight with fitful sleep. she was sure that she looked like a disaster in the early morning sunrise, her tan wrappings falling loosely around her waist and arms. but a distant voice in her mind told her otherwise. she could hear him like he was speaking to her.

beautiful.

halo tried to ignore the way it made her heart wrench as she walked the narrow pathways of the empty dwellings on ahch-to. everyday, she felt her body getting stronger. regaining its composure from the treacherous wound she had received. she knew that the only reason she was healing so well was luke.

a small part of her flared in guilt. did he feel like she had abandoned him after he told her the truth about that night at the temple?

her lips pressed together in an attempt to suppress her emotions. none of them mattered now, anyways. she had to make things right with him. for the sake of herself, luke, and ben solo.

she came to the door of his hut. for a moment, she stood in a still silence. her heart thrummed wildly in her chest, and she did not know why she was so scared to go inside.

an exasperated breath left her lips as she pressed her back to the stony exterior, and slid slowly to the ground. why was she finding it so hard to go to her old master? she had spent years pining after him, to eradicate the massive hole he had constructed in her chest. he was her father, even if it was not so by blood. she knew that's what he was to her. and halo would not fall away from her family. she knew better. she had learned well from ben solo's mistakes.

the blazing light from the sun shone down on her face. it warmed her skin, freckles and birthmarks coming alive under it. she felt a flush tint her cheekbones, felt the warmth and comfort of the heat. the smell of salt lingered in the air.

her light eyes looked down at her fingers, etched with tiny scars, dancing with every movement. halo realized that she hardly knew herself anymore. she had become someone entirely new, so different from the lonely girl on jakku. it seemed like an eternity had passed since those days.

she missed finn. she missed him more than she could say. and she missed han. and leia. all of them.

asphyxiation consumed her. she felt like she was being suffocated by the past, and urged to breathe by the future all at once. everything was so uncertain.