1. Moonlit

The sun had long since set beyond the skyline, hidden behind mansions that stood like mountains in the distance

The sun had long since set beyond the skyline, hidden behind mansions that stood like mountains in the distance. In its place, the moon sat unaccompanied by dying stars burning brightly against the darkness of the night.

The brown beauty leaning over the balcony, sharp eyes staring into the graveyard of stars, wondered just what it would be like to be one. To burn bright and fast into the night, until she disappeared. She knew that it would have been much better than who she was in that moment—a puerile young girl whom no one took seriously, seen only as a fatuous addition to a beautiful backdrop.

Sabrina sighed, twirling a stray curl around her finger, resisting the urge to pull her hair free from the purposefully messy bun atop her head. Although she came to this party to accompany her friend Leyla, all she had to accompany her were her thoughts. It was not difficult to imagine what the vivacious girl doing at that very moment.

Leyla Özyıldız demanded the attention of any and everything within her sight. She was most likely nursing a glass of champagne as she conversed with older men who were so taken by her presence that they seemed to forget she was too young to have it. Tossing her head back with a laugh, acting every part of the socialite she was born to be.

Until a few moments ago, Sabrina was at her side, going along with Leyla's façade, acting as though she too had their blue blood flowing in her veins. It was far from the truth.

The parties the Özyıldız family attended, they were for the rich and famous. For women who enjoyed wearing immaculate and expensive dresses, and for men who enjoyed having a trophy on their arm while boasting into the night. Sabrina, who was much more comfortable in the modest apartment she shared with her Aunt, could only act the part for so long before she felt exhaustion creeping into her bones.

She never liked attending these parties and yet, Leyla would always convince her to come. Dragged her, more like, with promises of it not happening again. Sabrina released a sigh into the night air.

Being a good friend was exhausting, sometimes.

The sound of the balcony door swinging open interrupted her thoughts. Classical music and bright lights assaulted her senses. She turned towards the light, with narrowed eyes, expecting Leyla to stand in the doorway, hand on her hip as she demanded she join her inside. But she was surprised as her eyes adjusted, and she met the eyes of Ambrose Özyıldız.

Sabrina offered a small smile and turned away briskly, fighting the growing warmth of her cheeks.

Though Sabrina and Leyla had been friends for nearly six years, she had never quite gotten over her crush on her father. In fact, it seemed like it became worse. Simply the sight of him turned her into a blushing mess, and tonight was no exception.

Clad in a luxurious suit, the stern lawyer looked nothing short of delectable. His dark, curly hair was framed away from his face, eyes as dark as the midnight sky amplified his chiseled features. Every time she saw him, she felt as though the air had been siphoned from her lungs.

What was he doing out here?

"It seems I am not the only one who needed a reprieve, no?" His gruff voice lowly questioned as she heard the door shut behind her. "Tanrım. These parties are always so exhausting."

Sabrina raised a surprised brow, turning to face him slightly. His demeanor was the same as usual, impassive and imposing, but he was clearly fatigued. Overwhelmed, even. Just like her. She smiled a bit and sighed, "Honestly? I've felt that way all night. Everyone here is somebody, you know? And I'm just...me. It's just overwhelming for me."

He stared at her, eyes impassively raking over her figure. She shifted on her feet, feeling more self-conscious than she felt the entire night.

She was a vision, she knew; the long cream gown she wore was a tease in modesty despite the sheer elements of the design, clinging to her curvaceous body like a second skin, pressing firmly against her full chest. The slit in the side, accompanied by the gold Louboutin's she borrowed from Leyla, made her long legs seem infinite. Her makeup was the finishing touch to her classy look.

Soft makeup adorned her bronze skin, a gift from her mixed Black and Samoan heritage. Glimmering eye shadow decorated her doe eyes, enhancing her dark brown gaze. To top it off, a light coat of mascara coated her lashes. Her naturally sparse brows were filled lightly, framing her features softly. Her plump lips were coated in a tinted red gloss, the same shade of red kissing her cheeks.

It was impossible to deny the sensuality radiating from the bashful young woman.

She had caught the eyes of plenty unsuspecting men tonight, despite the trophies they sported at their sides.

She just never thought, in a million years, that she would ever catch the eye of Ambrose Özyıldız.

She turned back to the safety of the moon, thankful that the night hid her ever-warming cheeks.

"Overwhelming," He chuckled to himself, turning his gaze away from her to stare at the moon. She relaxed, immediately feeling relief wash over her. "Hard to believe, when you look like this."

Her face flared, burning so bright and hot that in that moment she felt like the sun. He glanced over to her, as if he knew the effect he had on her. She imagined he did; he could see it clearly in her face, she thought embarrassed. She stepped back nervously, ready to retreat into the party.

"I-I think Leyla's looking for me, I should go," She said softly, voice trembling as she turned away. It was pathetic. "But it was nice talking to you, Mr. Özyıldız."

Thankfully, he did not give her another glance as she escaped into the stifling air of the party. She shut the door behind her and stood for a moment, recollecting her thoughts. And then she sighed.

She needed to get a grip.