• fifty one

Her eyes sung stories
with sad endings.
I wanted to wrap her in a blanket
and tell her she'd be safe forever,
and so I did.

Easter Break tended to be highly anticipated because of the much needed break due to the stress caused by the upcoming exams, but this time around Alexis couldn't have been dreading it any more

Easter Break tended to be highly anticipated because of the much needed break due to the stress caused by the upcoming exams, but this time around Alexis couldn't have been dreading it any more. The reasoning behind it was rather obvious.

Somebody was letting Nicholas Grindelwald inside the castle, Dumbledore was convinced of that, and knowing better than to take his threats as empty the Headmaster decided they needed to take action. Due to the vastness of the castle it was impossible to keep an eye on Alexis at all times, and even more so to know if Nicholas had once again sneaked in.

Dumbledore's solution? The Lupin family. Because of Remus' lycanthropy it was quite common for the family to move frequently, mostly choosing houses in the middle of nowhere with few to no neighbors around, making it hard for people to keep up with the Lupins' whereabouts. The Headmaster assured her than under Lyall's protection and with the Marauders' constant company Alexis would be safe. Or well, to quote the old man, "safer than she would be at Hogwarts."

So when Saturday night fell over them, one week after Nicholas' most recent visit, the quintet was already set on the cozy and warm home the Lupins had been living in for the last couple of years. They would all be staying in Remus' room, with Peter and Alexis sharing the bed with its owner while Sirius and James attempted to make themselves comfortable in the coldness of the ground, which they could not be any less thrilled about.

They were, however, not ready to call it a night just yet, figuring that if they got sent away for the break they might as well make the most of it. Especially taking into account that three out of the four Marauders, Peter being the exclusion, were already seventeen and able to legally use magic outside of Hogwarts. And as one would expect, they were definitely planning on abusing their power. But first, they definitely needed a little cheer-me-up.

"Sirius, that alcohol is for special occasions!" Remus shouted after the boy who was shamelessly taking some of the muggle alcohol the Lupins kept.

"I'm a special occasion!"

"You know what, Moony?" James sighed, setting aside a letter and taking a bottle from Sirius' grasp. "I think we could all use a drink." He stated as he continued tensely glowering at the letter, Tom Riddle's handwriting looking up at him with those words that had already been repeatedly read and thoroughly analyzed. After a week of pestering the Dark Lord with letters informing him about Nicholas' doings and demanding answers he finally replied and, as expected, he wasn't the carrier of good news.

Dear sister,
Filled with shame, it is my duty to inform you that this is all my fault. It was all happening right under my nose and yet I failed to notice and take action.