::Epilogue iv:: In Memory of You

"Its not going to work," Arthur had long accepted that little was going to change his father's mind, for the King was far too stubborn to be easily swayed, and certainly not when his mind had been made up. All the same, Arthur had inherited the same trait and was not about to give up so easily. "He's not so stupid that he'll listen."

The King, who had come to see his son off. Not from sentimentality or love, merely a performance for the sake of one, either hadn't heard or didn't care to listen. The pair stood side by side in the cool night air, no warmth exchanged between the pair, only loveless words.

He remained in silence for a moment, before saying. "You're more persuasive than you give yourself credit for," he said simply. No tone of praise in his voice, calm and level as always. "You will come back with him."

No pressure, Arthur didn't say such aloud. "You saw what happened last time, father," he flinched. Even ten years later the memory was all too painful, the ache still filled his heart just thinking about it. "He wanted to stop the killing."

And as much as he hated to admit it, Arthur knew his father felt the same.

"Things change," the King replied. Keeping his voice quiet as not to rouse attention to their presence. It was long past midnight, their timing was carefully chosen. For the King didn't wish for anyone to know about his plan, even Robert had no idea. Though fortunately by the time he did, Arthur would be long gone on his quest.

Robert would have to wait until Arthur was back to skin the fur from his back.

"Not Charlie," Arthur said lowly. Looking down at the cobblestone under foot, anything to avoid looking his father in the eye. However, at last moment his eyes jerked upright and he caught his father's gaze. "He wanted to stop the killing."

"People are dying," the King didn't miss a beat. "Charlie can stop it, make him see that."

With a sigh, Arthur relented, shifting onto four legs. It was time and there was no convincing his father of anything else. He nudged the horse's sides with his heels, and soon they were moving. His father keeping careful pace, until they were at the gates of the castle. Looking out on the path which would lead them down from the cliff side and into town. Where Arthur would begin what would no doubt be a long search.

However, he paused just as he was about to step across the threshold and looked back at his father with a sigh. "I will try," and then he was gone into the night with a scattering of paws, and he didn't look back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been weeks since Arthur had left home, most of it taken on paw or foot. Though occasionally he had been able to hitch a ride from a local to the nearest town. Never giving tell as to who he really was, that would have been of no help.

Most of it had been spent chasing lose threads, reports of monsters and strange deaths within isolated areas of the Kingdom. Anything which might have helped him track down his brother, most of them had lead to nothing.

The most recent one, and potentially the most hopeful one had lead him northwards. To what appeared to be the only village for miles around, where he had heard tell of a monster inhabiting the woods. People turning up dead, and a multitude of wildlife being found slaughtered. It sounded all too familiar.

But then the information had been told to him in a pub populated by the largely intoxicated, so the extent to which it was reliable Arthur didn't know. However, he couldn't help but hope that at last his journey would be over.

Skidding to a stop as the trees parted, giving way to a path. It was poorly laid and a little too well trodden, but Arthur wasn't about to complain. It offered the oppurtunity to sleep under a roof instead of a tent for once, and he was all too willing to give it a go.