Substitute

"... Ms. Johnson and I'll be your substitu-" I hear when I enter Camila's classroom, but then the blonde haired woman at the front of the room notices me and sighs, waddling over to the desk to retrieve a clipboard.

"Name?" She grumbles and I wait until I'm settled in my seat before giving it to her.

"Y/l/n."

"Right." She nods annoyedly, already, and checks something off on the clipboard, "And you have a pass?"

"Nope." I pop the 'p' and lean back further in my seat. I was late in hopes it'd earn me an excuse to stay behind class, not so some old, gross woman could have a go at me about it.

"A tardy slip?" She tries but I shake my head and pull my phone out, putting my earbuds in. The other students are hushed, but when she holds her hand out to me as if she wants something, they start to mumble amongst themselves.

"What?" I question, looking up at her but she raises a brow and purses her lips in expectation, something that'd probably be really hot if it was Camila but not this woman.

Seeing her face for one second put me in a bad mood.

I can also sense Cara's eyes burning into the back of my head but ignore it and focus all of my energy in not giving this woman what she clearly wants, and right now that's my phone.

"No electronics during a quiz." She 'reminds' me and I groan and look back down to the screen. Quiz? I didn't know there was a quiz today. Not that I would've studied, but still.

"What do you mean 'quiz'?" I ask and she points at the whiteboard where slightly-sloppy writing says something about a pop quiz and then working on stuff from other classes, so I huff and tear my earbuds out.

"This is bullshit," I grumble but the substitute doesn't hear and just shuffled back to the front of the class, reading the board and finishing introducing herself.

I make it look like I put my phone in my backpack but slide it into my pocket last minute and, once she's not looking anymore and everyone has the quiz in front of them, I pull it back out to send a text.

Camila's POV

Ping!

I reach over to my bedside table to retrieve my phone and glasses, only to see a text from one of my students, the very student who made me decide to stay at home 'sick' today. I flirted with her, she flirted with me, we broke the law. Well, I don't know if it's actually illegal to flirt with her but I closed and locked the door in case anything further happened, for God's sake. And maybe, just maybe, I hoped it was going to.

Now she texted me like we text all the time.

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
I call bullshit.

Pondering my options, I hesitate before replying simply.

Me:
?

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
It's the third day of school and there's already a quiz?

Me:
It's over everything you should've learned last year.

Me:
Has Mrs. Johnson handed it out yet?

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
Screw that and yea, she has

Me:
Busted. Get off your phone Y/l/n.

There's a slight delay before her response, and it makes me chuckle softly.

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
But Camiilaaaaaaa

Me:
That's Ms. Cabello to you.

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
Fine

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
Ms. Cabello, can you please help me on the quiz? Your sub doesn't speak a word of Spanish and neither do I.

Me:
Pues, no porqué deberías saber las repuestas.
(Well, no because you should know the answers)

Me:
And I can just give you a 0 for being on your phone.

There's another delay, and I'm about to put my phone down when I get another message.

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
I don't know the answers! I had to google translate that question

I don't reply, but she can see that I've read her message because the next one that comes through makes me laugh again.

Y/FI (first initial), Y/l/n:
🖕

Y/n's POV

I sigh and put my phone back into my jacket pocket, only to pull it back out and send a text to Cara instead.

Me:
Answers?? 🧐🧐👀

I hear her phone vibrate quietly behind me and get an almost instantaneous reply.

Cara:
You got a different quiz than me... did you not hear when she called out your name and handed you a different one than everyone else?

What the-?

I look down at my paper and across to the person to my right and see that she's right, my paper looks entirely different.

With a sigh, I send another 'I call bullshit' to Camila and put my phone away once again. It vibrates, but I ignore it and slide the quiz over to see it properly.

My name is already scrawled across the top, along with a message that reads 'Do your best x'.

When I read the first question, it's relatively easy: just matching with colors. She's given me an easy quiz, probably from Spanish I. She probably did it with kind intentions but it feels like she's making me out to be stupid, so I flip it over and doodle on the back instead.