THIRTY - TWO

[ FAMILY ]

HALO WAITED FOR REY PATIENTLY OUTSIDE OF HER HUT

it did not take long for the young scavenger to ride. old habits died hard.

rey barely had time to wipe the sleep from her eyes before halo was upon her. the red-head gripped her friend's wrists, tugging her down to sit beside her. rey was vaguely aware of the deep pain that pulsated from halo's presence. she knew almost immediately that something was wrong.

"what is it?" rey asked, her dark eyes creased with worry as they gazed upon her friend.

there was a look in halo's eye. almost as if she was pleading with rey.

"you have to go," halo said, her voice shaking weakly against her strong exterior. "you have to go now. to kylo ren. to turn the tide. to end snoke."

rey's mouth hung open. halo watched her quietly as the young scavenger tried to formulate the right words to say, but she found nothing. above all the things she was feeling, halo could sense confusion.

"i know what i'm asking of you is impossible, and i don't deserve your help. but you... you're my best friend, rey. i need you. the galaxy needs you."

rey shook her head. fear of failure lined her bright presence.

"no, halo i can't do that without you. i'm not ready."

her heart felt like it was breaking. everything was coming down to fast. it made her realize how much time she wasted, how little time was left. all the years her and rey had lived on the same planet, but never met. all the years without luke. without han and leia. without ben.

she brushed a tear from beneath her lashes, and shook her head of fiery hair fervently.

"rey, there is nothing more that i can give to you. you are a stronger woman than i could ever hope to be. i am what you'll grow beyond."

the scavenger's eyes swam in the early morning sun. this felt like a goodbye. she didn't want it to be.

halo seemed to sense her growing worry. she smiled softly, and gripped rey's arms with her fingers.

"come back here when you're ready. come back to get me. i'll be waiting for you."

the two young women stared at each other for a moment more, before falling into each other's embrace. halo prayed that she was making the right choice. for she knew that she was not what snoke wanted. rey was what he wanted. rey would be the one to incite his death.