Happy Birthday

Another day had passed, but all of the days spent at the castle wouldn't leave as big of a mark as this day would

Another day had passed, but all of the days spent at the castle wouldn't leave as big of a mark as this day would. This was a day that Sun would remember forever.

It was Crow's birthday, a fact she couldn't escape as her maids sang about it while dressing her in purple. Alma and Velda seemed cheery enough, but there was a hint of something just beneath the surface that Sun wanted to poke and prod at. When she asked, Alma simply shook her head. It was Velda who spoke first.

"Prince Crow's birthday isn't as widely celebrated as say, Princess Adel's or Prince Christian's."

"Why is that?" Sun asked, wondering if it had anything to do with the favoritism she was beginning to notice more and more.

"His mother died on his birthday," Velda explained, her voice grim.

Sun's heart had sunk inside of her chest. This was a fact she hadn't known. She could only imagine how she'd felt if her mother had passed away on her birthday. Every year, she'd be torn between celebrating and grieving. It would have been a hard thing to deal with.

"So he keeps to his personal training room for most of the day and no one celebrates. The maids still cheer in secret, but oh how we wish we could brighten his day, even just for one birthday."

"That's so tragic," Sun crooned, blinking away sympathetic tears. She knew the feeling of spending most of her birthdays alone, wishing her mother was there to sing to her once more.

She was no longer embarrassed about throwing up on him; she didn't even care about him catching her eavesdropping a day ago. All of the anger she normally felt toward him had vanished, and the only thing that satisfied her was the thought of cheering him up.

"Where is his training room?" Sun asked as she gazed at herself in the mirror. She was pleasantly surprised by her appearance, finding purple to be most suitable for her. She deemed it her new favorite color.

"On the other side of the castle. Why do you ask?" Alma peered over her shoulder with lowered eyes.

"I'd like to pay the prince a visit. Would either of you happen to know where I can find a gift?" Sun asked, and she almost smiled at the surprised amusement sparkling in Velda's eyes.

"Oh I know just the gift!" Velda sang as she jumped up and down. "A new dagger!"

"But I don't have the money for a new dagger."

"Don't worry yourself with gifts, you'll give him the wrong impression," Alma grunted as she began sweeping the floor. "I'm sure your presence will be enough."

"And purple suites you, well" Velda added, her smile wide and encouraging. "I'd be happy to show you where he is."

"Great," Sun smiled, standing up. "Let's go before I lose the nerve."

Ten minutes later, Sun stood outside of the training room. She turned to Velda and nodded a "Thank you."

Velda simply smiled and turned to leave. And as soon as she disappeared, Sun's heart started to race. What was she thinking going to his personal training room? What if he was in a bad mood and she'd only irritate him more? She'd already managed to throw up on him and be an inconvenience at every turn. Beauty apparently didn't come with good luck.