Chapter Twenty

When I descended from the carriage, a group of people were already waiting for me. Upon seeing me, they bowed their heads in greeting. I noticed the same eunuch who brought the wooden chests in the Bai Manor earlier.

"Princess, the royal concubine Hua is waiting for you."

Is this the scene where every female lead gets poisoned by their male leads' royal mothers?

I dismissed my thoughts.

No worries, I am not the female lead anyway.

In the story, the royal concubine Hua was full of tricks but they weren't as bad as the original Bai Fan's schemes. It was more of a countermeasure to protect herself and to help his sons stabilize their power inside the court.

"Princess, shall we go?" The eunuch asked me as he extended his arms outward to show the way.

I nodded and they led me to where the royal concubine is. We walked through several passages that looked exactly the same that I thought we were lost. My thighs were starting to ache and I felt my back drenched in sweat.

Before I could give up, we finally arrived at the east wing pavilion where the royal concubine was.

She was wearing a simple yellow dress with blue ribbons accentuating her curves. Her hair was tied in a neat bun with only a few hair accessories attached to it. Her face was covered in a thin layer of powder and her lips were tinted red. She was a beautiful sight.

The eunuch announced my arrival. Royal concubine Hua put down the paintbrush on her hand and lifted her head to look at me.

"This subject respectfully greets her highness." I greeted in the most graceful way I could muster.

First impression lasts!

"Bai Fan, you don't need to be so formal with me. We are going to be a family." She beamed.

I covered my face with my hands and acted like a bashful young lady.

Don't mother-in-laws love cutesy daughter-in-laws?

"Bai Fan, come," she waved at me, "come closer and let this old woman take a good look at you."

I did as she wanted and walked towards her. A servant brought me another chair and I sat beside the royal concubine.

"Everyone spoke the truth," royal concubine Hua gently touched my face with her fingers, "you truly are a beauty."

Ahh, my beauty is once again acknowledged.

"No wonder General Bai had hidden you away, such a precious gem." She smiled as she held my hand.

"Royal concub-"

"Call me mother." She corrected me.

That was fast.

"Mother..." To be honest, it felt weird. I don't have a lot of memories about my mother nor do I remember the last time I called someone that word.

"I'm glad that General Bai agreed to betroth you to my son." She continued.

Well, you didn't gave us much of a choice.

"Mother!"

Everyone turned to look at a drunk Chen Hui who was swaying his way towards us. If it wasn't for the servant that was assisting him, he would have crashed on the ground.

Royal concubine Hua quickly stood up and ordered one of her maids to get a a cushion for his son. She even helped Chen Hui settle on the chair.

"I told you not to drink anymore, why won't you listen!" Royal concubine Hua berated the second prince. But Chen Hui wasn't listening to her. Instead, he has his eyes focused on me.

"Bai Fan!" He exclaimed in glee, "did you think it over? Are you here to marry me?"

Royal concubine Hua's face turned red, "what are you saying?!"

"Bai Fan, you won't marry my brother, am I right?" Chen Hui continued then looked at his mother, "mother, I am the one marrying Bai Fan."

I just sat there, motionless. If I do something now, I might end up beating Chen Hui to a pulp.

"Mother, I am willing to divorce all my wives for Bai Fan." Chen Hui pleaded to her mother but only got a slap as a response.

Ouch.

"Take him in his quarters. Sober him up and don't let him out." Royal concubine Hua ordered the royal guards. They bowed in understanding and dragged the unwilling Chen Hui away.

"I'm sorry you have to witness that. I hope you forgive the second prince for his brashness." Royal concubine Hua smiled, but this time, her smile didn't reach her ears.

"I understand, mother." I nodded.

"Let's go to the grand hall. The party has already started. I'm sure everyone is excited to meet the first princess." She laughed trying to ease the mood.

I feel bad for her for having a brat for a son. Chen Hui is a pain in the bum.

As we made our way to the grand hall, we met a group of people heading the opposite way.

"Mother, have you seen Chen Hui?" A man dressed in a dark purple garb approached us.

"I sent him back to his quarters." royal concubine Hua answered.

"I shouldn't have left him alone." The man sighed.

"Don't worry too much about your brother. I sent the royal physician to concoct a tonic for him," Royal concubine Hua explained and pushed me forward, "Mu'er, this is princess Bai Fan."

I don't know if it was her intention to add strength in that single push but I ended up in Chen Mu's embrace. She quickly made an excuse and exited with everyone in tow. We were left alone.

Hello, future husband. This is a bit awkward.

Chen Mu held me by the hands and steadied me on my feet.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a low voice.

I nodded, "I'm sorry. I'm a bit clumsy."

Its your mother's fault.

"I know."

I paused and looked at him.

What do you mean you know?

Chen Mu looked so familiar that I can't help but stare at him. I know I've seen him once but standing face to face with him was different. This familiarity was comforting in a way, like I have been acquainted with him before.

His thick brows that were above his deep onyx eyes, his perfect nose and the thin blood red lips that was curved upwards. His broad shoulders and his tall stature.

He reminds me of someone but I can't remember who.

"Didn't the General Bai Long He told you it was rude to stare?"

I gasped in realization.

Even his voice sounds familiar!