IX. Sonic the Hedgehog

I ran away before any of them could even see where I was going. None of them were going to convince me that, 'Oh, Sonic, Robin was being ridiculous. Come back to us and we'll hug and cuddle with you and play video games on the couch again!' Maybe Robin was right. Maybe I was being selfish asking them to help me. But weren't they a group that did things such as HELPING PEOPLE? That was, like, their motto! It seemed so strange of Robin to just push me away like that.

I shook my head. Whatever. I ran as far away from the building as I could, then called out, with a big, deep breath and my arms held out, "Slade! Peace treaty time!"

I was expecting him to come out and stab me through the heart as if he had been waiting for the moment, but nothing happened. Was this such a good idea? Even the thought of seeing Slade face to face made me shiver. But I still called again. "Hello? Slade?"

I dropped my arms back to my sides and sighed with impatience. Then I saw a shadow. The shadow of only one person in the world. The shadow of Slade. Nice book title. "Ah, you're looking lovely today." I said. "Love the hair."

"Still as charismatic as ever, even when I could kill you in a second?" He asked.

"Look, I'm not here for a fight." I told him. I sighed. This was my last chance to turn around. "I need your help."

"I suspected." He said. "Those Titans are not as dependable as they're made out to be."

"Yeah, I got that. Are you going to help me or not?"

He paused and looked at me. It was kind of creepy, with only his eyes showing through his mask. It was as if he was testing me through them. He made no other motions, too, which made it even worse.

"Come." He said simply.

A passageway opened up behind him in the street, and he started to walk down it. I followed, watching for sharp objects on the ground. The ground that was above us closed. The stairs (that lasted forever, by the way) were long and narrow, and falling ended in either a scary death or a never ending fall.

So what happened?

I slipped.

Walking on stone is slippery enough, and in doing it in socks makes it suicidal. Having to look out for objects makes it worse. But the surprising part about my fall was when Slade caught my arm and pulled me back up. I blinked.

"Don't let it happen again." He told me.

I nodded a bunch and was definitely more careful. Talk about intimidating.

Finally, once my feet were sore and my stomach was dropping with each step down, we reached wherever he was bringing me to. It was like a technological cave that Tails would have fallen in love with. But I didn't want to think about that.

"If you want to get home," Slade said without looking at me, "you will have to do everything I say."

"And that includes...?" Again, my stomach didn't feel so good.

"The first thing we will have to do..." He turned his head and looked at me. "Is teach you how to survive."

I didn't know what to expect after he said that. He ended up lunging after me, and I didn't have enough time to dodge it. He pinned me against the wall.

"You're not used to the way we fight around here." He said, narrowing his eyes. "So you'll learn."

"Why?" I asked.

He threw me to the ground and put his foot on my chest. It was crushing my ribs, but I wasn't strong enough to pull or push it off. "I'll get you home, but everything has a cost, Sonic."