23. Gone

지나간

지나간

''Are you alright?''

June asked Jimin in concern as they sat down at the small kitchen table, both of their hands gripping onto the hot beverages. That night they drank tea instead of coffee, something that would soothe their senses rather than wake them up.

''I'm not sure.''

Wishing for his voice to be less monotone, with no lack of emotions, Jimin wanted to feel something, to feel anything. But at the same time, he was unsure of whether he was supposed to feel bad, completely devastated in a way or maybe he was okay with it, somehow even at peace.

Once acknowledging that the best thing to do was to stay apart for a while, both Jimin and Boyoung decided to take some time off, just to figure things out. It was a mutual choice, so he told June.

At first he was confused, desperately needing to feel sadness, but instead, his muscles loosened, the imaginary weight coming off of his chest with a simple snap of fingers.

He felt relief.

However, what Jimin hated the most was lying to people's faces and pretending to be happy. Which was odd at times as he does it a lot – pretends to be happy, only to have those around him pleased, not really paying attention to himself at all.

As mentioned before, Jimin was a people pleaser, and cared very much about others more than he did about himself.

So when he felt relief – as a result of not wanting to hurt Boyoung any more than he already did, it was a different feeling.

To put it in words, he was selfish for the first time in a while. A contradiction to his once, people pleasing behavior.

Which was quite the terrifying sight for the usually humble and considerate Jimin.

Not much has been said that night as he noticed that June's apartment both felt and looked different.

He did however, help her get back home the other day after she got a bit tipsy but he hadn't payed attention to the surroundings.

He hadn't noticed how different everything was.

It was less warm, kind of dusty and the dishes in her sink left intact from probably two days ago. June, as well, had puffy eyes filled with a slight color of red – something was wrong and she had been crying too.

So when Jimin's low voice asked her what happened, she shrugged her shoulders, a blank expression plastered on her face.

''I think I lost someone today.'' Was all she said when her mind drifted to the thought of Taehyung now being gone.

Usually, Taehyung would always be there for June, no matter if it was daylight or in the hours of deep dark night. He was so similar to June that he even shared the same feelings as her, having both anxiety and depression tied to his characteristics.

Taehyung was a best friend – someone June met at a young age when things were too much for her to handle on her own.

And so their friendship became inseparable, the love between them platonic in a way, and all this time, Taehyung wasn't even real.