Chapter 1 - A Simple Peasant Girl

Walking in the middle of the bustling streets between all the different vendors and street merchants was a single figure. Despite being dressed only in old tattered clothing, the person merrily continued past all the lively people while humming a happy tune. As she passed by a large building, she suddenly stopped.

The girl's name was Feng Yao. A simple peasant girl who was fond of sweets and candy. At this moment, the pleasant scent of tea silently leaking out of the tea shop made her stomach grumble.

"Sigh...Shall I, or shall I not?"

She looked down with a pout at her money pouch. It had taken a long time for her to earn this much. But then again...

The second wave of sweet smelling tea finally made her decide. As if to console herself before spending all of her coins, she patted herself on the shoulder.

"It's okay Feng Yao. Remember, for the sake of a yummy treat, you can give up anything!"

With that thought in mind, she happily skipped through the doorway waving down the first waiter she saw.

"Oi! Waiter! Table for one!"

As she sat down at a table, a skinny man wearing an apron came up to her with a grumpy expression.

"What can I get for you?"

Ignoring his cold tone, she answered with a bright smile as her fingers tapped the table.

"Give me the best tea you have!"

He looked her up and down noting her dirty and torn clothing. With a snort of disgust, he wanted no more than to kick her out.

"Excuse me. Perhaps you don't know of our tea shop. This tea that we serve is the only one of its kind in the entire kingdom and is only suitable for those...above you."

She lazily glanced around, already comfortable with the position she had placed her feet onto the seat across from her. Indeed, there were only young masters and young misses scattered around her in their fancy and expensive clothing.

"Oh! You're correct. Congratulations. And?" She smiled at the waiter and pretended to not see the look of disgust grow in his eyes. After all, she was a simple peasant girl. She couldn't possibly understand how to read such complex emotions.

Just as he was about to explode, she let out a huge yawn while simultaneously dropping her bag of silver coins on the table.

"Oh dear. My money bag must have slipped from my hand again." Her voice was deliberately slow as she very-not-obviously let the waiter glimpse at her pile of money.

His eyes widened at the large amount inside as she reached out to grab the spilled bag. Letting out an over-exaggerated sigh, she said, "Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go over to the other tea shop. You know, the one across the street. The one that also--," she slowly dragged her sentence out, "has the best tea in the kingdom."

Just as she was about to stand up, he hurriedly bowed his head.

"Wa, wait young miss! Of course! How could I be so blind!? I'll go fetch you the finest tea we have on hand!"

She watched as he quickly rushed away with her bag of coins in his hand. Bored at the sudden lack of activity, she plopped her arm on the table and rested her chin in her hand.

Now, what shall I do for dinner?

Just as she was contemplating on food choices, the conversation from a nearby table in the corner drifted over into her ears.

"Have you heard about the situation at the Wei-Cheng borders? I heard that they've been steadily gathering troops."

The other man struck his fist down on the table.