Chapter 2

The ladies of the court had been dining and nibbling at small cakes for about about an hour before Adelaide stood up to excuse herself

Azora had been expecting this to happen ever since the King and his men had left her chambers that morning, but didnt expect Adelaide to be excusing herself this late into the morning.

The small girl carefully made her way through the sea of sliken skirts, to Queen Azora who sat at her throne surrounded by the older ladies.

She curtseyed quite low, her face going pink, as she looked down at the floor. She slowly straightened at Azoras command, and cleared her throat, wringing her hands together in nervousness.

"Your Majesty, may I please excuse myself?"
Her voice was small and quiet, and she put up the facade of the perfect innocent girl, but her eyes said otherwise.

They were dark and full of longing, and Azora swore she could see a twinkle in one eye

"And what is the reason you so desperately need to be excused for?" Azora tried to keep calm, but an icy edge was evident in her voice. The other Ladies whispered among themselves, their words harsh and full of critisism, and if said allowed they would definantly be sent out of the room.

Adelaide seemed to actually be nervous under the scrutiny of her senior Ladies, and looked down at her intertwined hands.
"I wish to relieve myself, your majesty."
Her voice was almost a whisper.

"Relieve yourself of what?! Your constant lust for his majesty?" One of the more outspoken Ladies yelled out crudely and the rest all smirked. Azora herself had to refrain from smirking.

Adelaide took a breath to stop herself from having an outburst, and continued.
"You know what I mean, your highness. May I please-"

"I guess if you must." Azora added, making sure to add an exagerated sigh.

As if on command, Adelaide suddenly straightened, and the sparkle returned to her eye.
"Thank you m'lady"
She left the room with a bounce in her step.

☆☆☆
It was almost an hour later when Adelaide returned, her dress slightly rumpled, her stays not laced well, her face a deep shade of pink.

Azora felt the blood drain from her face, and her stomach in knots. She clenched her fists and ground her teeth to stop herself from attacking the child, but she noticed one detail that changed her mind from pulling Adelaides hair.

A shawl.

Now to anyone it might have looked like any ordinary shawl, but for those involved in the private giving of gifts at christmas last year, they would know it was not even a shawl at all.

The bed throw had been hand knitted by the princess dowager, the kings mother.
Of course he was not impressed by the gift, but that was not the focus here.

It was wrapped around Adelaides shoulders, skillfully hiding her collarbone and neck, Azora wanted to vomit as aa picture came in to mind of what Adelaide might have been doing that hour.

She smirked a little evil smirk however, and relished in the thought of Adelaide humiliation.

"My dear Lady Adelaide, are you cold?"

Adelaide nodded her head, running her hands up and down her arms, pretending to be cold.

"Oh well theres no need for a shawl, we will just light a fire!" Azora grinned to herself. There was no need for a fire, it was the middle of July and it was quite warm.

"M'lady do not trouble your-"
"No I insist. Lady Eacker, please fetch the maid to light the fire"

Adelaide contiued to protest as the smirking Lady Eacker returned with the maid, and Azora continued to ignore the girls arguements.

Soon when the fire was roaring, Azora sat right in front of it, and beckoned for Adelaide to comw over. Adelaide cautiously took steps towards the incredibly hot fire, and sat right next to the Queen on a wooden stool.

It had barely been a minute when she began to sweat. Azora noticed her twitch uncomfortably in her seat, and lay her hands on the shawl as if thinking whether to take it off or not.

Azora took the chance, and she tried to look as concerned as she possibly could.
"Lady Adelaide, are you hot, here let me take your shawl."
Adelaide shook her head frantically, her forehead creasing and her face looking fearful.

As she continued to protest, one of the ladies in waiting carefully crept up behind the ususpecting girl, and whipped off the bed throw, causing Adelaide to shreek, and try and grab the shawl back off the Lady, as the others giggled and laughed and ran around the room, taking turns at throwing the shawl around.

Adelaide gave up and collapsed on a chair, trying to cover her neck with her hands, but to no avail. Everyone could see the big ugly purple bruises all up her neck and collarbone, and the Ladies whispered visciously to one another, jealpus at the fact that they were not recieving the Kings attention.

Azora grabbed the shawl and wrapped it once more around the disgraced Adelaide, who sat sobbing into her hands. She placed her hand on one shoulder, and ina voice everyone could hear she gave out some advice.

"If you dont want to be married to the cooks assistant, and want to catch a duke, Lady Adelaide I suggest you stop bedding married men."

She then turned to the other ladies.
"Now whos up for a bit of croquet?"

Sorry this chapter is so boring, I promise the real drama will happen soon! Also do you believe Adelaide deserved her humiliation? Please give skme feedback!