24. Darren.

Wren looked at the sulking boy who rode a little in front of him.

"You're unusually quiet. You haven't said anything for hours."

Art turned in his saddle.

"Why would I? When I asked you where we were going, you said it was none of my business."

"I said it was a matter of state and you didn't need to worry about it", Wren corrected him.

"Same thing!"

Charlotte agreed with Art which made Casper get involved.

"Just tell him."

Wren sighed with annoyance.

"Don't you start. And please explain to me why I can still smell his heat? You mated with Charlotte just a few hours ago."

"I don't think that Charlotte has anything to do with it. I can sense his heat because I can feel the effect it has one you, but that's all", Casper said.

Wren frowned, but caved to the wishes of the majority.

"We need to find someone named Darren and take him back to the Castle. Spike said that you met him at the Sanctuary. It seems that this man is an expert in werewolf lore. The king hopes that he can shed light on the unique circumstances of Prince Alexis pairing."

Arts face brightened.

"So were going to the Sanctuary? Great! If we pick up speed we could be back for early breakfast tomorrow morning."

Wren shook his head.

"No. Spike informed us that Darren had plans to go on a retreat up in the East Mountains."

Art looked surprised and with good reason.

"This is not the way to the East Mountains."

Wren scraped his throat.

"I have an errand before we set of."

It was his intention to revisit the herb and spice shop to get a another potion for Arts heat.
Come to think of it:
"What happened to the vial that I send with you?" he asked, surprising Art.

"What vial?" the boy replied, not knowing if they were talking about the same item.

"I gave Spike instructions to give you three drops a day. It was meant to reduce your heat."

Arts mind raced a million miles an hour.

'Why would his spirit wolf make a fuss about getting the vial to Alexi on such short notice, when its content was to reduce heat in a female wolf? It really made no sense at all.'

"Art was unconscious for most of the week, but I can assure you that Spike gave me no medicine of any kind", Charlotte said truthfully.

"Well, we're going to get another batch", Casper told her much to Wrens annoyance.

"But it could take us up to two days before we get back on track", Art whined.

"We wouldn't be in this mess if you would just let me mark you", Wren snapped at him. "So give in or shut up."

Art glared at him and then returned to his silent indignation.

Upon arriving in the town, Charlotte let out a sigh of relieve.

"I'm hungry", Art said, attentive as always to her needs.

Wren nodded.

"There's a tavern at the end of the market. You can order ahead. I'll make my visit to the shop and join you later."