Chapter Twenty Two

"Miss, what happened yesterday?" Xiao Yu curiously asked as she laid the food on the table in front of me.

I don't want to talk about it.

"What do you mean? Nothing happened." I answered and started picking food to put into my bowl.

Xiao Yu eyed me in doubt, not fully believing me. It was the first time she saw me in a very angry state and it scared her a bit. But I have already calmed down and I have to admit, I lost my composure last night. I'm not entirely to blame though. Chen Mu knows how to infuriate people without much effort, I have to give him that.

If I fight fire with fire, I'll only end up burning myself. So why not be the water and completely extinguish the fire?

Feeling good and confident about my new strategy, I was able to eat a lot of rabbit stew and enjoy the flavored rice cakes. There was also a serving of fresh peaches. It was a mini feast and my tummy was satisfied.

After eating, I told Xiao Yu to accompany me in roaming around the imperial capital. I have no prior schedule for the entire day so I can spend my time any way I want.

I have heard from the maids in the Bai Manor that a new clothing store has opened and their clothes were of the latest trend. I will buy myself a few fancy dresses because all I have were from the Western Border. I don't have any problem wearing my old clothes but I still need ones that fits my new rank. I don't want to lose face especially that I now represent the royal family. I could also use it whenever I enter the palace.

I wanted to disguise myself as a servant girl but Xiao Yu opposed my idea. She told me that we might get arrested. I asked her why and she explained that the store owner will be suspicious if a poor woman was able to buy expensive clothings and will think that we stole money.

"What? Can't servants buy the same things just like what noble ladies buy?" I argued as I found it ridiculous.

Xiao Yu nodded.

I sighed.

True. I forgot that this is the ancient era. The time period where everything is unfair and some things doesn't make sense.

"Fine."

"Miss, even if you disguise yourself, have you also forgotten about the royal guards who are always following you? People will be able to guess you're identity with them behind you." Xiao Yu laughed as she pointed at the line of men with sword sheaths in their waists.

I sighed once again.

The Emperor sent me a dozen of his royal guards when I refused to live inside the palace. He told me that it was for my protection and though I told him that the Bai Manor already have its own guards, he still insisted so I have no choice but to accept it. I wonder if it really was his good intention or if its a way to spy on me. If it was the latter, then go ahead. Its not like I have something to hide.

With a veil protecting my face, we made our way to the dress store. As soon as we stopped in front of the store, a bubbly girl came to greet me.

"Miss, welcome to Fu Zhuang!" The girl smiled and extended her arms towards the entrance.

"My lady is the Fir-" Xiao Yu wanted to correct her but I stopped her.

She brought us inside the store. She politely explained to me the details of each dress and patiently waited for me to inspect it. I wasn't disappointed. All of their clothes were made of high quality fabric and the designs fit my taste.

I was sitting on the corner table while waiting for my orders when a young lady with her personal maid entered the store. I can tell that she's from a noble household just by looking at the number of gold hairpins stuck in her complicated hair bun. They disappeared from my sight as they climbed up the second floor. After a few minutes, the personal maid came down the stairs. Her eyes were wandering around, looking for someone. When she saw me, she haughtily sauntered towards my direction.

"Are you the one who bought the pink dress with yellow peonies?" She asked.

"Who do yo-" Xiao Yu raised her brows in annoyance but once again, I stopped her.

"Yes." I confirmed.

"My miss wants to buy it. Look for another one." She simply stated. She turned on her back and began walking but she stopped on her tracks when I answered, "no."

She stared at me, eyeing me from head to toe, "I don't know which family you are from but my miss is the left prime minister's only daughter."

Left prime minister's only daughter? No wonder she looked familiar. I've seen her at the Emperor's birthday celebration.

"I don't care who your miss is. I already paid for the dress. Tell your miss to find another one. " I suggested. There were a lot of pretty dresses in the store to choose from. I'm sure she'll find a better one.

The personal maid's face turned red at my refusal. She pointed at me and raised her voice, "Didn't you hear me? My miss is the left prime minister's only daughter!"

Before I could answer, the left prime minister's daughter appeared behind her back.

In a closer look, her eyes were the color of honey, her cheeks were tinted with pink and her lips were thin and curved upwards. Her black hair accents her small face. She was a beauty.

But she is lacking compared to me...

"I'm sorry for my servant's behavior. I ask for miss' forgiveness," she apologized, turned towards her maid and pretended to scold her, "what were you doing? Stop embarrassing me."

What are these two playing at?

"Its okay."

"Let me introduce myself. I am Shu Ming An, the left prime minister's daughter." She smiled at me.

"I heard." I smiled back.

Her face stiffened hearing my unenthusiastic response.

"Miss, may I ask which family you are from? I haven't seen you in the imperial capital before." She spoke after lifting the veil off my face without even asking for my permission. She was a bit stunned but she maintained her calm demeanor and continued, "you probably don't know this but my father is one of the Emperor's closest advisors."

Miss Shu Ming An, are you going to use your father's rank against me? Interesting.

"Oh, is that so?"

Shu Ming An's complexion is starting to turn bad. I noticed that she was tightening her fist into a ball. If I continue brushing her off, she will definitely burst from anger.

I have to thank Chen Mu. I've actually acquired this provoking skills from him. I don't want to say this but give credit to where it is due.

"You have no respect!" Shu Ming An's maid berated me. Xiao Yu wants to talk back but I held her hand.

Don't get so excited, Xiao Yu

Just then, the girl working at Fu Zhuang entered the scene. She handed the boxes to Xiao Yu and happily received the payment.

"We'll be leaving then," I uttered and faced Shu Ming An, "you were asking which family I belong to, right?"

I fixed my outer coat to reveal the golden lion emblem pinned on my chest, "I am the Western Border's General Bai Long He's only daughter, Bai Fan. This empire's first princess."