::Epilogue V:: Long may she Reign

Glasses smashed and screams sounded, but no one moved to help. No one dared.

Hidden against a corner, the queen clutched her three remaining children close to her chest, she barely dared breathe. But continued to hush and quieten her whimpering brood, only one mistake and they'd all be dead.

Again, a horrendous smashing sound ripped open the night air. Everyone flinched at the very sound, gripping what meagre weapons they had managed to pick up like they were the sharpest swords. But they were little more than table knives compared to what made them scared.

Even armed, little could be done to defend against the monster which hunted them.

On the other side of the room, she saw a silhouette straighten. It appeared that someone had decided to try to make a run for it. A growl rippled from her, one idiot could give the rest of them away.

"Get down," she snarled though didn't move to physically stop him. Any movement, any ill timed sound could alert the monster on the other side of the castle wall to the fact that they were here.

Don't move, don't breathe, keep them safe.

She wasn't sentimental enough to hope that she could have saved everyone there, but she could only pray for her children.

Realising sheepishly that they had been caught out, the shadow slunk back to their hiding place and there was no other sound for a few moments. Except for the terrifying patter of small paws from outside.

No one dared to even breathe at this rate, for fear the smell of what they'd had for breakfast would turn them into dinner.

Lucy was crouched, beneath a desk. Violet, the normally brave child who refused to even be afraid of the dark, was sobbing desperately. Whilst she wasn't the only one, and no matter how she try, the little girl wouldn't stop.

Part of Lucy very nearly wanted to join them.

In her arms lay the wolf form of Arthur, curled up into a tight ball so it seemed she was hugging a furry pillow rather than her middle child. The queen pulled him close, praying this wouldn't be how it ended.

Robert, too in the dark brown form of his wolf, rested against the far wall of the desk. Ears twitched and ears drawn in an attempt to be brave, despite the fact Lucy could see him shivering with fear even this far away.

He seemed to be determined to protect his little family with everything he had left.

Lucy wished more than anything that he didn't have to.

Her children deserved so much more than to meet their ends in this hell.

A little whimper came from Arthur, and she pulled the furry creature closer to her chest. Pressing her nose to his fur, she inhaled deeply. Terrified that they were all going to die, and her sons wouldn't have the chance grow up.

Arthur stilled at her touch, though he still shook in her arms like he was gripped by frostbite.

Violet shifted to her left, trying feebly to appear unaffected by the chaos happening around her. She gripped onto his mother's hip, making it apparent that she had no intention of letting go of either of them. Her spare hand rested on the head of her brother.

More sounds from outside drew everyone's attention, but there was nothing more. They were safe for now. But Robert let out a low growl, barely loud enough to be heard from outside, fortunately.

Watching him in silence, adoring him even now she recognised so much of the man she had once loved in her oldest son. Wishing that these traits were still recognisable in her husband who was now but a shell of that man.