Chapter Twelve

Somehow at nightfall, I was tired again. Maybe it was the lack of food and water or maybe it was the endless walking. Or maybe it was just the sheer boredom of walking in silence all day. I know now that small talk with Ward is impossible. Then again, what am I supposed to say. 'The sun looks kind of hot today, doesn't it?'

"Ok, we can stop here." Ward finally said. I sighed in relief. I knew walking anymore today would kill me, even if I did sleep most of the morning.

"Alrighty then," I replied. I tucked myself under the road ledge, sitting on the ground. Ward stood and leaned his back against the wall.

"Why don't you just sit down?" I asked.

"Because at any moment, we could be attacked. By standing, I can wake up easier and be more alert than I would laying or sitting down. I have a better chance of survival by standing up."

"Sheesh, you could have just said you didn't want to." I pulled my knees up to my chest, forming a small ball. I looked out into the desert sky, with millions of stars shining.

"Isn't the sky bright tonight?" Ward said awkwardly.

"Wait, hold on." I turned to Ward. "Are you trying to make a conversation?" I asked, amazed.

"I'm just trying to compliment the stars." He defended. He plopped down next to me, sitting with his legs out in front of him.

"Well, I think the sky is very pretty. You could never get this view in the city."

"Yeah, that's what I hate about moving around all the time. You never get to enjoy the places you go." I looked over at him, who was staring up at the sky. His dark brown eyes reflected the millions of glowing lights in them. From what he just said, he sounded very wise. I had to agree with him here. No matter the number of places you go, as an agent, you can never fully experience anything.

"I guess you'd have to be right about that." I sighed and stared up at the sky. I realized I had one of those 'I'm one of the smallest things in the universe' moments. I almost laughed at myself, thinking about how everyone had those moments. I just smiled to myself.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Ward looking at me, smiling. I rested my head against the dirt wall. I felt myself drifting off before I heard Ward yell.

"Skye, run!" He shouted, jumping up next to me. Suddenly, a white gas surrounded us. I felt suddenly so tired, and I could barely see anything. I stumbled my way towards Ward. He reached out and grasped my hand.

"Ward..."

"Skye, don't let go! Don't let go! Skye? Skye!" I heard his voice grow fainter as I blacked out, holding his hand.