#47 Long Answer Part 2 - Freagra Fada Cuid 2

My first morning back in nearly two and a half weeks came after Evelyn and Dania called on me to fill in on the breakfast rush. A mutual friend of theirs was getting married and the ceremony was taking place four hours away meaning they would be gone for the weekend. Since we were short staffed Tony came over to back up Grace with serving. I forgot how much I missed the man as he treated me to a giant bear hug waking my sleepy body with his warm arms.

Being on the griddle was like riding a bike and I picked up my natural rhythm easily, flipping short stacks onto plates as fast as Tony and Grace could whisk them away. I had fun for the first time in a while and after we finished I informed Grace that I was ready to return to the morning shift.

She grinned cuddling me into a fast hug before running off to the foyer and shouting for Tony to follow her. I couldn't help but grin as well, it'd been a month and a half since Lyle and I had parted ways and things were finally returning to a semi-normal state. Sure I still only got four hours of sleep at a time, but at least I was beginning to feel safe. Letting my guard down bit by bit and returning to what made me happy before my life turned upside down. Tonight I planned to take another crack at drawing, I'd been studying an elderly retired couple for the past few days, and I felt confident I could capture their relaxed playfulness.

While Grace and Tony rushed into town for a quick grocery and toilet paper run I held down the fort. In other words, I was to clean up the kitchen then hang out in the lobby in case of questions.

Taking my usual spot at the sink, I watched the wind blow the flowers, their stems bending to the will of the wind.

Lost completely in thought I jumped when a sound behind me broke through the silence. A guest cleared their throat subtlety and I didn't bother to look behind me as I rinsed a ceramic dish free of syrup.

"Breakfast is over I'm sorry."

"Sure you can't make an exception?" An effortlessly smooth voice cut through the air and I swiveled on my heal to meet the light eyed girl sitting across the kitchen island. My washcloth dropped and I stood agape at her.

Lyle.

Without warning my feelings came flooding back, deep down I knew my attraction to her was not solely a result of adrenaline. Now I was positive, I did care for her and I didn't care if it was selfish. I wanted her here. With me.

"Wh-" I stuttered. She watched me, a cool smile spreading across her face as she stood from the stool and closed the distance between us.

There were a million questions I wanted to ask but instead I settled on a simple statement. "I'm happy you're here."

Her arms wrapped around me tightly and it was clear there was nothing more to say. We felt for each other much stronger than I thought possible and as we pulled away I kept silent surveying her features as she did the same to me.

"Beth. Ivy. Are they ok? God I am so..." I searched for the words I'd been trying to track down for the last month and a half. They escaped me.

"They're ok," Lyle shushed me allowing her palms to run over my arms. "I'm sorry I should've called."

She shook her head as remorse poured out of her words like a river rushing over me. My ears tingled with excitement.

I'd spent the better part of a month convincing myself that my feelings for Lyle were a mirage, something I constructed during a time of trauma to distract myself. But now, as I stood before her I knew that I wanted her here for more than to fulfill my selfish needs. I needed to be there for her as much as I needed her to be there for me. Purely, I wanted to know that she was ok.

As she pulled me into her chest I felt the answer to that question. 

X