Chapter 12| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]

"the words that you don't say, no love when you hold me, no calling the next day, it's a one way, no"

sex money feelings die  • lykke li

***

    The resounding smack of a soccer ball sounded as it ricocheted off the aluminium pole, firing off to the left of the goal. Growling, I pulled another ball toward me with my foot. This one landed even further out in the field when it failed to make its mark. I snapped the next ball to my right and swore under my breath.

    "Woah, take it easy." Keegan's voice sounded over my shoulder. I turned my head to find him walking toward me, flanked by Quinton. They stood on either side of me and Keegan asked, "What's got you so riled up?"

    "Nothing." I growled, taking another heavy shot on goal.

    Quinton winced as he watched the ball fly outward. "I haven't seen you miss a goal since eighth grade. Coach should've let you stay a Striker."

    "I don't want to be a Striker." Another ball, another miss. "All you can do is stand around and wait for someone to pass the ball to you. There's no fun in that."

    "Right," Keegan drawled. "You prefer to be getting up in people's faces. Or one person in particular."

    My response to kick the next ball straight into the centre of the net with a loud smack was all the answer they needed.

    "What happened?" Quinton demanded.

    "Nothing."

    "Dakota."

    "Nothing." I stopped my next shot and ran a gloved hand through my sweaty hair. "God, can't you guys just let this go?"

    "No, because you're clearly angry about something." Keegan stated. "Was it Connor? Did something happen between you two?"

    If only they knew.

    "I haven't seen Connor since the last time we played Northshore."

    "Then what's got you shooting goals half an hour after practice ended like you're picturing it's someone's face?"

    One of the balls had rolled back a little ways from where we stood. I drew it closer with my foot and lazily kicked it toward the goal. Watching its progress meant I could delay my response to Keegan's question.

    It had been three days since Connor had come to Ridgemount. Three days since he demanded I kiss him to prove a point. Three days since I had done just that, pushing him up against a brick wall like it was the easiest thing to do in the world.

    I couldn't believe the nerve he had; blackmailing me to kiss him with the threat of a revelation. None of it made sense. He was the one scared of being outed, not me. Though I suppose hooking up with someone as lowly as Connor Taylor sure would put a dent in my reputation. There was no way I'd let him hold that kind of power over me.