11: Noah

A few of the guys from the university thought it would be a good idea to have a pool party, completely ignoring the fact that it was getting colder by the day. The party itself was a hit, but the aftermath was not. Not only did everyone return to classes completely hung over, but a couple of individuals had come back with a cold. That cold was now circulating through the university.

            Although Noah didn't have a roommate yet, that didn't mean he wasn't subjected to the easily transmitted sickness. One class with a nose-blowing girl sitting next to him was enough to make him feel under the weather. But that didn't stop him from going to the library to see Leigh. He shoved a box of tissues into his bag, bought himself a coffee and arrived in time to see her.

            Leigh was absolutely saturated when she walked in. Her hair was hanging in limp tendrils around her shoulders, dripping water onto her uniform. He knew it was raining, but he didn't think it was absolutely raging outside. Leigh shivered as she placed her things down and continued to shake as she studied.

            Noah was uncomfortable knowing she was cold and wet and he was sitting three seats behind just watching her. But the more he stressed about Leigh's current condition, the more he was starting to feel sick. In the morning, he couldn't stop sneezing; a blocked nose and nasally voice wasn't great to start with, but by the afternoon he was starting to get a headache. Noah helplessly slumped onto his desk, feeling absolutely rotten.

            By the time Leigh had her ten-minute bathroom break, Noah decided he needed to leave. He could hear the rain outside and it was making him sleepy, plus his nose was getting uncontrollably runny and he was sure everyone in the library would appreciate if he left due to his constant sniffling.

            Noah knew Leigh wrote him a note before she started studying and usually he'd wait until she left to retrieve it, but he was sick and had a headache so he packed up and walked over to her desk. Right in the corner was the neatly folded piece of paper. He picked it up, slipped it into his pocket and turned to leave.

            But the image of her desk made him hesitate. Her pages were damp, the ink smudged. He knew she'd get sick. Sure, the heaters were running but she had another hour to go and he wasn't sure if she'd dry fast enough. So Noah walked back to her desk and pulled out his jumper. It was grey and boring and probably a couple sizes too big for her, but it was comforting knowing it would help her get warm.

            He draped it over the back of her chair. Noah wanted to leave a note but there was no time and he had no paper. So, instead, he picked up one of her pens and scribbled in the corner of her notebook, hoping she didn't have to hand in her work the next morning with Noah's message crammed in the margin.

            You looked like you were cold.
            - Noah

            Then he quickly departed the library, passing Leigh on his way out the automatic doors. He was in such a hurry he almost walked right into her, but he quickly redirected. And although his footsteps were clumsy and he almost tripped on his shoelaces, Leigh gave him the most beautiful smile, paused for a silent second to make sure he was okay and then left.

            He hoped she didn't see him blush.

            As soon as he was in his car, Noah pulled out the note he had gotten from Leigh's desk. It had gotten slightly crumpled in his pocket so he smoothed out the wrinkles before he read.

            The heart wants what the heart wants, Noah.
            You can't just waltz out of a book and expect me not to flirt.
            That's Riddikulus.
            - Leigh

            Noah was now one hundred and ten percent sure it would be impossible not to fall in love with Leigh. He thought about her for the rest of the afternoon; on his drive back to his dorm, when he stopped at the community kitchen at his building to prepare two-minute soup and when he finally made it to his room.

            Noah's dorm was messy to everyone except for him. Things were in weird and wonderful places, stacked hazardously in every corner. And although his things looked disorganised and unpractical, Noah knew every belonging's rightful place.

           His things were currently occupying the entire room, but he knew he'd eventually have to move them. He was meant to be getting a roommate towards the end of the year, which he was looking forward to. But for now, he was enjoying the freedom of solitude.

            Noah pulled out the note from Leigh and pinned it with the rest on his corkboard. He had taken down assignment notifications and schedules and relocated them to a stack on his desk. Now, the space held all that was Leigh. Notes, song lyrics, book recommendations, all scribbled onto sticky notes and put up on display.

            Once the note was thumbtacked in, Noah slipped under the covers. He didn't bother getting dressed; he was too tired. Instead, he fell asleep with a smile on his lips.