Chapter 40

James didn't fight her when she said that. Nor did he stop her when she walked up to him and pecked him on the cheek before leaving. 

For a moment he just stood there, staring at the place where soon his mansion would stand. Wondering whether he had just done the right thing. It was only after a while that he moved from his spot. 

He sighed as he realized that he had come here by cab and was currently car-less. Quickly he took his phone out of his pocket and called his chauffeur. 

Elizabeth didn't realize that she was crying until she felt the tears run down her face. As she pulled up for a traffic light she pulled down the mirror and removed the mascara from under her eyes. 

Pushing the mirror back up she debated on what to do next. Soon ,however, she decided to drive back to her apartment. 

The second that she walked into her apartment she remembered that her phone was still turned of. Reaching into her purse she grabbed it and turned it on. 

Taking of her shoes she walked further into the apartment. She sighed as she walked into the kitchen and got herself a glass of water. 

Calmly she looked down at her phone but was soon startled by the amount of missed messages and calls. Most of them had been from James but several had been by Daniel. 

Shit! She thought as she realized that she had just walked away from work, without saying a word... As fast as she could she called Daniel hoping that he would pick up right away.

"Hello?" She heard on the other end. 

"Daniel! I'm so sorry, I had a... minor breakdown." She said, not able to come up with a better reason. 

"Ah that explains it. Well it can happen to the best of us. Why don't you just take a couple of days of, you know calm down and get well."

Elizabeth was quite confused when he said that. She had to admit, Danial was a great boss. But he confused her to no end. 

"Alright?" She said not quite comprehending what just happened. "Thank you?"

"Alright, now I'll take care of your appointments, and I'll see you next Monday."

Natalie had a nice and calm morning. She was very pleased to see that Johanna, James his assistant for the last few weeks was still sitting at her desk typing away. Finally had she found the right assistant for him, and finally could she stop doing all that extra work. 

Everything seemed to be great. That was until James walked in. 

His face was set in a scowl and his usually clean shaven face was now adorned by a stubble. With powerful strides he walked into the building. 

Oh boy... Natalie thought as she watched him. "Good morning Sir." She said but was met with nothing more then a scowl. 

Great... Just great... She thought as she dialed the number of Johanna sitting upstairs. 

James usually wasn't that rude to Natalie, but that morning it wasn't a good morning. Once he got out of the elevator he was met with the sight of his latest assistant. Johanna was quite a nice girl, she was around 23 years old and had short black hair. She wore thick rimmed glasses and usually wore pink lipstick. 

He had to admit, that he actually quite liked her. But seeing her sitting there, right were Elizabeth had sat just didn't sit well with him. So instead of greeting her like he normally would he just walked straight passed her.

It was around lunch when Natalie saw her boss again. This time however, he actually spoke to her.

"Natalie, make me a reservation at an Italian restaurant for lunch." He said, leaning on her desk. 

"Alright sir. Trust my opinion on good restaurants more than your assistants?" Natalie said looking at him briefly. 

"It's not that Natalie, it's just that she's not the same." He said sighing. 

Natalie was surprised by his response. In all honesty, she had expected him to be brisker, or get angry, but strangely he didn't. Instead he just calmly waited for to make the reservation. 

"Your reservation is in fifteen minutes at Milano's." Natalie said as she hung up the phone. "I'll send the address to your driver."

"That won't be necessary," James said surprising Natalie. "I'm walking."

Not that far away from James was Elizabeth. It felt strange having a day of in the middle of the week. Not quite knowing what to do she went to a nearby park to have lunch. So she walked over to a bench and sat down on it before grabbing her lunch. 

Soon her mind drifted to James at first she thought about how she missed him. But then the thoughts of all the other things came back. Sure she was in love with him, but there were so many other factors. 

First there is dealing with the schedule, of course she knew what kind of schedule he had from having been his assistant. But with her having another job then just following him around and him being gone all the time, she didn't actually get to see him often. 

Then on top of that times when he was away on business the paparazzi seemed to take every chance they got in taking a photo of him with a beautiful girl. Elizabeth knew that nothing had happened between him and them, but still she didn't like seeing those pictures. Most of those girls he had come across randomly and then snap! a picture was taken before you knew it. 

Elizabeth wasn't all that bothered by the pictures at first, but then there was this one photo of her with a guy. Just one photo, with an old high school friend of hers. And then immediately he acted as if he didn't trust her. It was strange how much that had hurt her. That he would even think that she would do such a thing. 

But overall Elizabeth wasn't to fond of the paparazzi. Every time the two of them would go anywhere there would be pictures of it the next morning. 

And then came that kids room. She didn't even know if she wanted kids... Well she knew that she did want to. Eventually. But was she ready for it now? Was that what he wanted? Or did he think she wants that?

On top of that came the mansion. At first she thought that the mansion was just a way of getting to her, but now he was actually going to build the damn thing. Was that his plan all along? She didn't even know how to feel about moving in together... On one hand it seemed great, but was this what she wanted. Was this it? Is he her one and only?