xxi. Take Thou This Vial

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

TWENTY-ONE TAKE THOU THIS VIAL

—✧—✧—✧—✧—

       'REMEMBER, IF THE TIME SHOULD come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort.'

       The words swirl around in Holly's head. Right or easy, right or easy. During her little holiday in the sunshine, taking far too many photos and spending far too much money on more camera film, the words couldn't leave her mind. Because she knows, back at Durmstrang, that the easy choice was the one she reached for, because the right one involved her own torture...

       Well. Both options included her own torture, but at least if she chose the easy option, it wasn't a physical pain, it wasn't the feeling of white-hot knives piercing every inch of her skin. It's more of the lingering thoughts, the things you think to yourself. It's grabbing her wand and having to think twice, because her first thought to stop a bully isn't a simple jinx, something that makes their legs into jelly for an hour, but rather, Crucio, or something that slices, that leaves a mark for more than a few hours. It's hearing others talk about he Unforgivable Curses as if they're these gruesome things, and Holly has to remind herself that they are, they are terrible, they're not the best ways to gain power like she was first taught.

       She isn't sure what to do. She knows that the right option with her whole friendship situation would be to come clean, but is it the wisest of ideas to come clean to her friends, especially during the summer, where they're at one of their houses and they happen to have a parent downstairs, one she saw in the graveyard? She knows that the right option is to tell her friends that, surprise surprise, she has other friends, and just hope that they don't get angry about her befriending the one person they hate the most?

       She knows that in the graveyard, she should have gone and stood up for Harry, and tried to defend him in some way or another, or reacted when she heard the cold hiss say, 'Kill the spare.' She should have told the truth instead of lying and letting her step-father move her to the side, because it kept her safe. But it didn't keep her friend safe, did it? It caused in him having the Cruciatus Curse being used on him, and her having to grit her teeth.

       Right or easy, right or easy. Holly crosses her bedroom to grab her Walkman and headphones off of the dresser, and grumpily sits at the window-seat, the awkward thing that's big enough for her to sit with her legs crossed or tucked to her chest, but hardly anyone else is short enough to squeeze onto it. She blames the tiny and awful window that it's next to, which doesn't even look out into anything interesting, just a drizzly and grey scene.

       This is the other thing: that thing her dad said, about there being some changes? Well. Holly was there, believing they'd have to go to the magical parts of London every once in a while, but no. Oh, no, what her dad was this — "It is unsafe for you to live at home, because if the Death Eaters try and come for you, because you were at the graveyard, or because your mother's who she is, so, you've got to move to the house the Order of the Phoenix is currently having all of their meetings in, along with all of the Weasleys."