Chapter 41

All James wanted to do was call her. He wanted to tell her that he needed her and that he loved her. But he knew that no matter how many times her phone would ring she wouldn't pick up. 

He was sitting in his office, blankly staring out of the window when there was a knock on his door. "Come in." He said not looking away from the window. 

"Mr. McGregor, your tux is ready and your limousine will be ready to pick you up in an hour," Natalie said smiling. 

"What? What tux?" He said turning towards her furrowing his brows together. 

"For the event, you know the charity gala? Tonight? don't tell me you forgot."Natalie said crossing her arms. 

"I'm not going," he said looking at the window again. 

Natalie sighed as she looked at her boss. Over the last few days, the man had changed significantly. He hadn't shaved in a couple of days, and every day he would stay and work late. At this point, she had felt bad for Johanna and sent her home at five and would stay behind herself. 

"You know boss, she will be there." She said taking a step closer to his desk.

"What?" He said turning back to look at her with big eyes. 

"Her boss can't make it, so she's going in his place." Natalie said hoping to get him out of this rut. 

"Really?" He said. 

"Yes really, so you've got to go."

"What's the point?" He said standing up and leaning against the window. "She needs time she said. So I am giving her time."

Natalie sighed and walked over to him. "Look, I know that I am just the secretary and that I am way out of line here. I can see what she means to you. And I can see how this is hurting you."

James was about to reply and turned to look at her, but Natalie cut him off. 

"Don't! Look, I know you love her and she loves you, it is as simple as that. Now you've just gotta go to that gala and get that girl." Natalie said grabbing his shoulders and shaking them. 

James was surprised by the behavior of the secretary, but somehow let it happen. 

"It's not as simple as that." He said. "At least, not for her."

Natalie sighed looking down at the ground. It was then that she realized that she was still holding his shoulders and quickly let go. She let out an awkward cough and straightened her shirt. "Oh... I know it isn't. But it would be nice if it was." Natalie said. 

"What do you mean?" James said with furrowed brows. 

"Well you've got to admit, the mansion was quite much," Natalie said. When she saw the look of confusion on his face she continued. "I mean, it is sweet and all, but it is also quite scary. Having your future set like that. Plus that whole baby room? Did the two of you ever even talk about having children? Did you two every talk about that?"

"No, not really..." James sighed. 

"I think that's why she wanted time. It was too much at once."

Elizabeth practically ran out of her apartment once she finished putting on her gown. 

God, I am late! She thought as she stepped into the elevator. Quickly she put on her shoes and her earnings in right before the elevator doors opened.

With longs strides, she walked over to the entrance only to find that her ride had already left. "Shit..." She muttered under her breath. 

"Is everything alright ma'm?" Wallace said walking over to her. "And might I add that you look stunning tonight." 

"Thank you, Wallace. And well, not really I am late you see and my ride left."

"I'll take care of that right away ma'am," Wallace said walking back over to his desk. 

"O you don't need to, I can take a cab." Elizabeth protested. 

"A woman looking like that deserves a better ride than that," Wallace said grabbing his phone. "Trust me, I'll get you there in no time. In style."

Wallace was true to his word as only several minutes later a limousine stood in front of the building with a chauffeur holding the door open for her. 

"Oh, Wallace you're the best!" Elizabeth exclaimed kissing him on the cheek. 

"I do try ma'm. I do try." He said with a chuckle as he waved her off.

James had looked everywhere for Elizabeth, but when after an hour of waiting she still hadn't arrived, he assumed that she would not be coming after all. He sighed as he walked over to the nearest chair and sat down, putting his face in his hands. 

He didn't even bother to look up when someone sat down next to him. It was only when the man started talking to him that he looked up. 

But then something else caught his attention...

There she was. Looking as stunning as ever. 

He watched her as she walked into the room, looking around and looking slightly rushed. 

She was wearing a floor-length, red, off-shoulder gown that fit her tightly, but flared out at the bottom. Her hair was curled into, what he could only describe as an old Hollywood glamour style with loose waves. 

Slowly he stood up from his chair, ignoring the man beside him and made his way over to her.