THE PARTY (Ruby P.O.V)

- Very pretty...

Madhya's Royal Palace shines lit up with burning torches and it reflects on the lake like it's floating among stars, highlighting the central tower where the throne room is located. Placing my hand on Iselen's waist, I guide her to go upstairs following other nobles of the kingdom. The torches' light is also reflected in the jewels and the bright coloured dresses with blinding flashes. I look down at my feet while climbing the stairs... I feel weird dressed like this, I tend to cover my skin as much as I can when I'm outdoors but it's night now and I have to adhere to the protocol and dress code of the Court. I'm wearing loose-fitting pants made of soft aquamarine silk, a belt incrusted with precious stones and a sleeveless shirt with a very low neckline made of translucent silk embroidered with silver that matches the pants, strappy sandals, long necklaces made of silver with sapphires along with some bracelets on my wrists and arms. It's been a long time since I didn't feel so exposed in public, I'm pretty sure that my nipples can be seen through this very fine fabric... but nobody seems to care here.

- Wow! This is beautiful...

It's funny she should say that. No doubt that the massive throne room covered floor to ceiling with marble inlaid with rock crystal is amazing but it cannot be compared with the effect that Iselen caused on me when she came out of our room dressed for the party. She took my breath away and I needed a few minutes to breathe normally again... luckily I can't die suffocated. The silk dress that wraps her body and one of her arms matches my clothes but it's a darker aquamarine shade. It's completely embroidered in silver thread till the point I thought that the delicate fabric could be torn apart because of its weight when I bought it. She's also wearing silver and sapphire jewels on her hair, ears, neck, arms, wrists, fingers and even on her ankles, however she seems modest compared to the amount of jewellery that other women is wearing here... I don't understand how they're able to walk with that weight on their limbs. I blink shocked when one of the ladies of the Court passes by me and I notice that, under her translucent blue silk shirt, her pierced nipples with earrings on them are clearly visible. I stare at Iselen with an eyebrow raised... maybe I could convince her...

- No way. That's not going to happen – she answers me worried.

I smile mischievously and nod at her. I spot king Gana sitting on his throne in the middle of the room and I push slightly my girl in that direction, it's time for her to meet him. Despite his mature age he looks pretty good, his skin glows like bronze under the torches light highlighting his golden jewels and white teeth. He isn't young but he isn't an old man either and he keeps in shape because he's an enthusiast of hunting activities. We wait our turn to greet him in line with the rest of aristocrats while I stare at him chatting amicably with everybody.

- He seems very kind – Iselen whispers next to me.

- He's very kind, sometimes he's so sweet, friendly and smiling that it seems unnatural. I think this attitude is part of his job, he has a reputation for being a good and wise ruler, outgoing and kind, so he needs to keep a grin on his face every time he's with his subjects whatever happens and never loses his temper. It's like a facade behind which he's hidden. I think it has something to do with his father, he was a great warrior but cruel and his people ended up revolting against him so this king tries to avoid his subjects disaffection being extremely kind, sometimes he's even sickeningly sweet.

- The opposite of my uncle...

Fat Bastard... I wonder how he's doing. He must have his liver so intoxicated by now that his skin must look yellow like a lemon. My girl doesn't know it but I've used his name to gain access to the Court. The king welcomes with open arms all kind of researchers and provides accommodation and free access to the library for them but he doesn't invite them to these kinds of parties. I could have convinced him with my vampire charm but I didn't need it, I just said that my partner is the niece of a king and, even if she's from a kingdom far away, he granted us access. If someone of royal blood comes to visit your kingdom, the right thing to do is to grant him an audience and king Gana seems obsessed with complying with the protocol rules down to the last detail.