five

Griffin James Sanders, he'd always been the kid they'd pushed out of the building first, not because it was under threat but because they personally didn't want him to take or use any of their air space up with his breathing. His entire existence had been an annoyance to the people who were supposed to love him the most.

It was around when he turned six and his Ma and Pa were gone in the morning, that's when he'd been nabbed by the Social Service lady. He'd ran upstairs excited to show off something positive he'd achieved in school that day, a Stupid family drawing that he got praised for, and they were just gone. Nothing there to prove they even existed, sometimes he had trouble knowing if they did or not.

He'd been pushed around from home to home 'till he had just about had enough of everyone, he'd done packed up everything he owned and stuffed it into a bag, it wasn't anything much. Just that day it seemed to be in his favor, down a mile or so from where he was placed he'd walked and watched as a girl 'round his age, she was pretty and looked cool, not like the girly girls he was used to seeing his whole life, just normal...sorta like him he guessed, but she was kickin' an' cursin' at this car.

Now he couldn't remember how it all went down but he remembers himself askin' her, "Are you stealin' this car, young lady?" a-an' her replying with somethin' like, "I'm not stealing it if i already did, but is that a problem to you?" So he shook his head no, and grabbed his backpack straps pullin' em until they squeezed so tight his arms were just about to fall off.

T-Then he stumbled on as his just-turned-teen-but-not-quite-manly-enough-to-not-voice-crack self to ask her, "Mind if I join ya?" an' she asked, "You running away from home?" So Griffin, he nodded and looked around when she did, she peered like a bird lookin' for its pray and h-he'd know, he liked to bird watch.

"You?" His dumb voice had cracked so bad his face turned pink.

"What'd you say?" She had asked him, the car was runnin' now all ol' and busted but still ready to just go off into the future, a different world maybe, he'd like a different universe at his age.

"I-I meant, are you runnin' off too?" Griffin had all but jumbled his voices, clashing and colliding with each other embarrassingly in-front of the pretty girl who had stolen the ol' car right there in front of him.

"I was trying to, you any good with cars...?" Now the pretty girl stood in front of him, her arms all crossed and made him feel intimidated but Griffin he knew, he knew about cars a whole lot, so he'd shook his small head and rushed to aid the car.

His thirteen year old self had fixed that car in under ten minutes, and got it runnin' again without the keys for the girl because she was just so intriguing a-and he was just tryina Help, But he also didn't wanna overstep and ask to come with but she'd done did that for him alright.

"My name's Dallas, and if we're going to take off in this car together I'd like to know your name as well. It's only fair." The girl-Dallas her name was, such a infatuating name that was. He liked it, so he did what his Ma had told him to do when he met company or new friends of her and Pa's and stuck his hand out for a shake.

Dallas had warm hands.

"I-I'm Griffin, I can come with you?" He'd been dumb he'd been. The girl had already subtly said yes to his question but he hadn't realized that at the time.

"We can be partners, you and I, it'll be fun Come on." Dallas had gotten in the car she did, he followed on after her and squished into the seat next to hers. His backpack went to the backseats, it was empty so that had worked out.