CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

→ CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR; THE END.

( t/w - brief mention of what father hughes did to michael but i don't go into much detail )

Mr. Maxwell had not been on Hannah's rounds since his burn wounds. After sweet talking Sister Margaret, she had managed to pass the unpleasant man onto one of the other poor nurses. Just being around him, Hannah got the chills because of his disturbing behaviour and she knew that he liked her, yet he refused to take no for an answer.

"Mr. Maxwell!" Hannah exclaimed over breakfast as Sister Maria handed her the rota. A pout came onto Hannah's face as she slumped back in her chair. Was this punishment for having a few days off to go on holiday with Michael? "What has he done now?"

It seemed as if Mr. Maxwell was repetitively getting himself injured and Hannah wandered if he was doing it in hopes of Hannah turning up on his doorsteps - sadly, it was now going to happen.

"Injury at work," she responded before taking a sip out of the teacup. "Asked for you, not any of the other nurses. Sorry about it."

Hannah rolled her eyes before melodramatically standing up and grabbing her coat. Betty looked at her with a sympathetic smile, she knew exactly what Mr. Maxwell was like and was thankful that she did not have him. Still, Hannah had a duty to serve everybody and help them with any medical needs and as much as she wanted to, she could not deny Mr. Maxwell.

She wanted to be back in the countryside desperately. Wrapped up in the bed sheets, Michael's arms wrapped around her as the morning sun rose, the sound of birds singing along and making harmony. It had been such a beautiful time away, but they couldn't stay there forever, Birmingham was calling them back.

Michael had been Michael for once as well. There stress and worry of the business had disappeared as soon as they had entered the cottage and his mood swings were no longer existing. It was just nice to be away from it all and not have to listen to people judging their relationship and what they got up to.

Hannah was now engaged to Michael. She had said yes without a second thought before capturing his lips and giving him the longest, biggest kiss that she had ever given him. The marriage had to be kept a secret until all the business drama was over and done with. Also, Hannah didn't know how to break the news to the nuns and other nurses. The other nurses at the convent would be pleased for Hannah but the nuns would most likely have a heart attack. They hadn't expected the relationship to last so long and they were starting to understand that it was becoming serious, they just didn't know how serious.

"I'm going to go then," Hannah said with a sigh as she put her nurses hat on the top of her head.

After the goodbyes were said and Hannah had clutched her medical bag, she made her way out of the convent and down the street towards Mr. Maxwell's household. It was going to be half an hour of torture, but it needed to be done. The only thing that was going to get her through the day was that Polly had invited her around to the house to discuss the wedding and other things that involved her and Michael.

+++

Michael was stood against the bar talking to Isaiah when he first heard it.

Thinking that his ears were playing tricks on him, Michael remained silent and continued to listen to Isaiah but then he heard it again and again and again. Isaiah had also picked up on the comments and was doing his best to keep Michael calm, telling him to ignore Daniel Maxwell who was making inappropriate comments about Hannah.

It was gone five in the afternoon and The Garrison was empty, only a few workmen loitering around after a long shift. Michael had quickly popped in to have a drink before the meeting that Tommy was holding to discuss the business with Father Hughes. Isaiah had also popped along which was good as Michael wanted to tell him about the engagement, but things were turning west quickly, and Michael didn't know if he could keep his anger in for much longer.