33 - COMMON GROUND

WHEN TONY FINALLY FOUND IT WITHIN HIMSELF TO RETURN TO THE WALSH HOME—AFTER A GOOD FEW SESSIONS WITH NICKY AND A LOT OF SLEEPLESS NIGHTS—HE FOUND HIMSELF ENTERING ON A VERY ODD SCENE. Seated in the living room was a tired looking woman who was holding a fan of cards, almost ready to pass out with the tired, but pleased smile on her face, turned away from a small boy who was furrowing his eyebrows in concentration at his own cards, glancing over towards the large blue balloon of a robot that was holding his own fan as well.

He watched for a moment, wondering he was about to witness a young boy learn how to play a game more complicated than one of his age knew, only for his hopes to be shot down at a simple phrase uttered by the boy in question.

"Got any three's?"

Tony coughed, interrupting the reply of the robot, giving a pathetically awkward wave and pursed smile. He caught the eyes of all the party and he could see the confusion, the slight peeks of hurt, and the truth that he was going to have to have a long talk with all of them individually.

"Can I get dealt in?" was the first thing he said, because he was nothing if not defensive.

There was a pause in which the party all shared a look that only a family could. Then they each pulled out a certain number of cards from the deck, holding them out towards him.

A symbol of forgiveness. He didn't deserve that.

But he took a seat anyways, sitting down on the rug that he hadn't seen in nearly three weeks at this point, and he started to play.

It took about two turns to make it evidently clear to everyone that he didn't know how to play Go Fish.

"It's the most basic card game!" Remy cried, utterly offended by the man's lack of knowledge.

"I went to MIT when I was fifteen and my dad couldn't really be bothered to play cards with me, all I had was my butler and he taught me poker, blackjack, and all the other games needed to have a very healthy gambling addiction," he replied with an equal amount of vigor, and despite the sad context of his excuse, Remy laughed. He laughed behind his hand while his mother hid her snicker and the robot repeated sympathetic comments of synthesized understanding.

When I was in college, instead of going out partying, I'd sometimes be able to convince my friends to stay inside and play cards," Birdie hummed a few rounds later, handing over a six to BUDDY who may or may not have, using his towering height, cheated.

Remy made a face. "That's really lame, Mom."

Tony coughed to hide his surprised laugh, but it was too late. Birdie gasped in indignation, swatting him on the arm and giving her son a look that had more laugh than bite. "You didn't go to Gage's birthday party last week, you just stayed inside and did nothing, and you called me lame?"

Remy's smile fell then, and Birdie instantly felt guilty. The boy looked down at the rug, scowling, "I just didn't wanna go to his party, Mom. He had other friends he invited to sleep over."

"Actually," the woman said, softer this time, "I heard that, more than anything, he had wanted you to. His mom told me that you were number one on his list and that he had wanted to drop by and give you some soup so you could "feel better," since he heard you had to come to school sick for the week leading up to his party. The invitation was sent two weeks in advance, Remy."

The boy hit his hand against the rug, agitated beyond belief. "I just didn't wanna go! You can't make me do anything I don't want to if it's not good for me!"

"You're back to only spending time with Marc, Remy, what happened, you used to tell me about all the friends you had, I thought you liked Gage—"

"I did like Gage!" he cried, jumping to his feet, "A lot! But he went and left just like everyone else, and don't tell me that he didn't leave, because you don't get it, Mom, but he did, and it sucks! I thought you'd get that, but you just want me to go to these stupid paint ball gun parties and make more friends, but I liked the ones I had, I didn't want more, but I thought making more would make it better, but it doesn't because everyone! Leaves!"