Chapter Two

The broken glass door was suddenly pulled away with a muffled metallic screeching.

A pair of bright blue eyes swam into view and a voice said something I couldn't understand. I was hanging listless in my binds. A blade flashed in front of my face and I snarled weakly in defense. Another incomprehensible murmur from blue-eyes. Then suddenly the straps were gone and my chest was bursting free.

I fell heavily onto the metal grate below in an ungraceful heap and gasped like a fish out of water. Oxygen soared into my lungs and reawakened my sluggish head, making me think what a dick this guy was for letting me fall on the floor. He cuts me loose and then leaves me? I had two guesses who it might be.

"You're welcome sunshine," a close voice drawled. Growling at the merc's callousness, I faced him but he had already turned away from me and was inspecting the convict's cell. Talk about humanitarian.

Then the destruction filled my vision. The cryosection area was more or less intact save for the left side of the hull which was gaping wide to the bright hot world beyond. Over half of the passenger pods were devastated, their unlucky hosts still encased within. Most were splattered with blood. Shock and sadness numbed the ache in my chest as I saw how many had perished.

The merc seemed unmoved and was intent only on making sure the lockdown pod was secure. The glass panel was cracked but the cell was whole, proving just how well-secured the convict was. A strange relief tingled through me when I realized he had survived the crash; he was sitting as though bored but the smell of anticipation flowed from his skin.

Wincing at the pain in my ribs, I stared daggers at the preoccupied merc.

"You could have helped me up at least," I grumbled, anger and shock making my voice sharp. Grumbling darkly, the man strode over and roughly hoisted me up by the arm. I hissed at the sharp jab in my chest. This guy really was a piece of work.

"Maybe next time I won't be so happy to save your skin, reaper," he said lowly, cold blue eyes boring into mine. "I could have left you to rot in that pod but," he gestured around the ruined cabin to the few passengers who were still helping each other, "there are witnesses, so I'm playing good cop for now in this shit situation. Don't forget that sweetheart cause to me, another dead reaper is something to celebrate."

I glared back at him with venomous eyes. I would have gladly siphoned the energy from his body until he was no more than a twitching husk but like it or not, he did save my life. The fact that he would have preferred not to merely proved he was a heartless bastard who deserved to be locked up instead of his cargo.

"I don't need help from a fucking merc anyway," I growled, trying not to breathe too deeply.

Energy trailed over his skin in a smoke-like aura and down through my arm where he was holding me. It invaded my body and I suppressed a groan. Despite my hatred for him I needed to feed and it would feel so good. Seeing my reaction he chuckled low and leaned in closer, enjoying himself.

Goddamn.

Feeling his life force made me weak and I was about to persuade him somewhere private when I caught the eye of the convict over the merc's shoulder.

One shining violet eye was staring right into mine through the cracked glass of his cell, hunger written all over his face. Heat rose in my cheeks as my delicate hearing picked up his breathing and heart rate; it had increased ever since the merc had touched me. The thought sent a shiver down my body and I pulled my arm out of his tight grip.

"You'd better keep an eye on your payday. Doesn't seem like he likes you very much, merc."

I said the word as if it were synonymous with shit.