106. STEVE: (Through the) Age(s)... of Ultron

A/N: This was requested by enswimmer! I really hope you like it! It was a great request and I hope I did your idea justice :)

Lots of love!

Winnie

Words: 3K

It all started at one of Stark's parties.

Y/N had been lingering by the bar, ice-cold whiskey glass in her hands, and completely unaware that she'd caught Captain America's eye from across the room. He'd been chatting with some acquaintances when he first spotted her there. Her hair was shiny in the bluish lights and her skin silky and the perfect contrast to her bright white dress. Her eyes fluttered around the busy scene as her unamused expression only grew sleepier as the music became louder. She was beautiful, but it wasn't until Steve gained the courage to talk to her did he really start to fall for her. She was smart—no, that's not a strong enough word. She was genius. She was otherworldly in her wisdom in beauty.

Stark threw another party when they got married a year later.

Y/N was perfect for Steve in every single way. She didn't care that he was Captain America—she only cared if he took out the garbage when she asked him to and remembered her birthday. He never felt more normal than when he was with Y/N, and she never felt as loved as she did in his strong arms. It wasn't a surprise to anyone when two years into their marriage the couple announced they were expecting a baby. Everyone acted surprised, of course, but Steve's teammates knew that he was finally becoming the father and provider he was meant to be. It was easy—it was destiny. It was all going so smoothly: the marriage was perfect despite small fights and flaws, the baby was healthy going into the third and final trimester, and the world was at peace.

It all went wrong at one of Stark's parties.

Y/N, or Dr. Rogers as she became known as, was lingering near the bar despite the fact she wouldn't be able to drink for another few weeks. She made small talk with Natasha Romanoff as Captain Rogers tried to make his way over and away from the groups of people who begged him for a second of his time. Small talk was never his forte, especially when he could see his beautiful wife a few yards away without his company. The only person he really wanted to spend time with was her.

By the time Steve actually got to talk to Y/N it was much later in the evening. She was coming back downstairs after a quick trip upstairs for the bathroom when she saw that a much smaller group of people, all friends, were gathered around a coffee table and a boisterously loud Thor. He flipped his hammer around the air and laughter ensued as each of the team members took their turns in trying to lift the metallic toy-looking thing. Y/N sat back in her seat while her husband lingered on the armrest of the expensive chair—not wanting to move to disturb the way she'd leaned her head on his shoulder and how he's lovingly started toying with her fingers. He smiles down at her and time seems to pause.

It all shatters back into full-speed motion at the entrance of the oil slick, deep-voiced robot.

In the chaos of the first fight Steve's only concern is getting his wife and unborn baby out to safety. He pulls over a couch and directs her to hide behind it before jumping into the fray. A few bodies fly around but it's not until the robot falls flat with the slaughtering by Steve's shield does Dr. Rogers jump up. She rushes to check everyone's injuries, which thankfully are few and minor in their severity.

"Let me see."

"I'm fine," Steve sighs. He gently tries to wean Y/N's feather-light touches away from his blood-dribbling forehead. He'd become distracted once when he'd heard her scream—not paying enough attention to everything around him and ending up with a large piece of glass scraping across his forehead.