Chapter 25

Ralph merely rolled his eyes before taking out his pistol and shooting Bates right in the heart.

Alice gasped, her palm pressed to her mouth.

Bates went down, looking shocked.

"Im only sorry you didn't make him suffer," Wolf snickered from behind him.

"I'm free, fancy that," Bender grunted.

"You're not free, you're going to prison now," Wolf smirked.

Ralph finally turned to look at his wife, ignoring everyone around him. She stood still, her eyes wide. Ralph felt guilty that she had to see that. But he hadn't wanted to play any games, he hadn't wanted to give Bates the chance to cause more trouble, to hurt Alice.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," he murmured, cupping her cheeks in his hands.

"It's alright," she whispered, looking dazed.

"You don't hate me do you?"

She looked at him then, confused.

"Because I killed him?" he clarified.

"Oh not at all. I know it was necessary, he didn't deserve to live," she smiled hesitantly.

"I believe this belongs to me for now," Wolf said, coming to take the pistol from Ralph's hands.

"I can face the consequences," Ralph rolled his eyes.

"Don't be an idiot. If you wouldn't have resigned formally, it would have been different. But you don't work for the government anymore. You might not hang, but things will certainly get messy. You don't want that with your new wife and all," Wolf finished his lecture. Then he turned to Alice.

"I believe we haven't been formally introduced, my lady. You may call me Wolf," he smiled, turning on the full force of his charm, intending to render her speechless, no doubt. He liked doing that, Wolf.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Wolf. We could have met if you had attended our wedding," Alice smiled her most dazzling smile. She looked beautiful despite her dusty appearance.

Ralph smothered a proud laugh when he saw Wolf blink against his wife's radiant smile.

Wolf thought he could render Lady Alice Orford speechless, did he? Not bloody likely.

"It seems our job here is done," he said finally, clearing his throat.

"It's far from done, but I'll leave you to it. I need to take Alice home," Ralph said. Alice sighed her relief.

They turned to leave when the sound of a carriage screeching to a halt came from behind them.

Lady Sarah Gilbert and a very pregnant Lady Rosalyn Orford got out of the vehicle accompanied by another man Alice didn't recognise.

"Oh Alice! You're alive," she screeched, coming to hug her friend.

"Yes, I'm fine," Alice rubbed Rosalyn's back before Sarah lunged at her to make sure she was alright.

"Now where is that black guard?" Rosalyn asked, looking indignant.

"Mr. Gerald here followed Ralph and lead us here because Rosalyn thought she could save you," Sarah explained, signalling to the seemingly amiable young man who had accompanied them.