Chapter 7 : You Are My Love

Text Copyright ©Cristelle Mae Gille ™ 2014

Seconds have passed since they have called my name. lub-dub lub-dub..I’m frightened. lub-dub lub-dub..I’m so anxious. lub-dub lub-dub..I don’t want to fail this. lub-dub lub-dub..Slowly, I pushed my legs onward. Left, right. After a few more steps, I am now in front of the adjudicators. Eyes are boring into me like jagged arrows ready to be shot to its target.  I feel like a little rabbit that is about to be a hunter’s next meal. I can now feel myself sweating like I have been running for miles. My fangs started to ache for it feels threatened. It urges to come out. But I won’t let it.

One adjudicator cleared her throat. She looks like a prominent librarian with her neat bun atop her head and eye glasses framing her silvery gold eyes. Her red lips puckered and her eye brows raised. She elegantly rested her hands on the table in front of her while straightening her posture on her chair. She looks so terrifying in general. I bet she could scare little kids so much that they will instantaneously run to their mothers and cry.

She cleared her throat again. “Miss Aimee Rainecourt, am I right?” I nod. “First of, I would like to praise you on your choice of clothing. It is definitely elegant and gorgeous. It compliments your pale skin and your dark hair and eyes.” I curtsied. “Thank you my Lady.” Even if she’s saying some praises, her eyes seems dead still.

“Now, please enlighten me on what made you partake in this kind of event? What pushed you?” she asked.

Lub-dub lub-dub… What will I tell her? The truth seems to be a bad idea for it will undeniably ruin my purpose. And I will be besieged as well. Might as well put a bounty on your head. A lot of those who opposed the rule of the current bloodline will surely try to kill me. Lub-dub lub-dub… I need to lie. Lub-dub lub-dub… My fangs are throbbing again. Lub-dub lub-dub… I’m terrified. But I need to be strong for Him. I need to prove myself that I am worthy.

Straightening my posture, I inhaled deeply. And I started my first lie. “I have been dreaming of being a princess when I was a child. Lack of money and power will give you no chance to be acknowledged as a worthy woman to wed a royal. Especially a prince.” Especially Prince Edmund. “So when this was publicized not just long ago, I seized this rare chance. It will be an obstacle I have to take and pass in order to prove myself worthy to be somebody. Worthy to be a princess. Worthy to even be a queen.”

I exhaled the breath that I involuntarily been holding for a while. I don’t know if the adjudicator will be pleased in what I responded.  I do not know if it’s even right. I know the first part was a lie, but those in the end are true. The female adjudicator’s eyebrow twitched a little and she looked down. I’m wondering why.

The adjudicator at the side of her, a male, called for my attention. He has a shoulder length brown hair that is tied with a red ribbon on the nape of his neck. His face is so sculpted that he looks like one of the gods himself. His intense greyish blue eyes are so daunting. He doesn’t look strict or imposing like the female but he has that aura of elegance and masculinity surrounding him. Having enhanced senses is a total advantage for us vampires. Especially now, for me, I can see the adjudicator so clearly even in a distance.