one

I TAP MY bare feet on the dusty dashboard in front of me to the beat of Sweet Home Alabama as it blasts from the stereo. My mother cannot hold back her sweet smile as she bobs her head and plays the steering wheel like a drum. I look back at my brother Pete who is shredding on the air guitar behind me and as the chorus approaches we all take a huge inhale...

And then the truck hits us.
And we're flying in the air.
Peter's screaming.
Mom's crying.

My eyes are squeezed shut as tightly as I can close them.

I blink my eyes slowly at first and then faster to try and get the dirt and smoke out of them. I try to sit up but I can't, my body must be trying to heal itself. I hear Calista whimpering, but she is faint in me which is odd considering I need her now more than ever.

'Cali, I need your help.'

'Eudora and Philander. Where are they? Are they okay? You need to find them Cleo. Find them.' She growls loudly within me, so loud in fact it almost comes out.

She's right. My body has healed only a little, but it's enough as to where I can sit up. I look all around the wreckage but see nothing. I put my nose high in the air and try with all of my ability to pick up their scent but I can't find it. I hear movement not far from me. It's coming from our car that doesn't even look like a car anymore.

"Mom!? Peter!?" I call out into the world.

"Cleo?" I heard Pete's voice respond. "Cleo, I can't move."

"It's going to be okay." I yell back. "Where are you?"

"Cleo I can't move my legs. There's something metal laying on top of me. It's pinning them down. I can't heal myself!" I can hear the panic in his voice in addition to smelling his fear.

Something moves within the car again and this time I see her long golden hair.

"Mom!" I cry out. "Mom?"

Her hair doesn't move again. Cali cries out once more before leaving me completely. I close my eyes tightly as a single tear rolls down my cheek.

"Cleo?" Pete calls out. "Where's mom? Why isn't she answering?"

I can't say it. I don't even want to think it. It can't be true. I yell her name again, but nothing.

"Cleo?" His fear has only increased.

I take a deep breath and open my eyes. "Pete I need you to try and sit up for me."

"I can't. I'm on my belly."

"Okay. I'm going to try and get to you." I fold my legs underneath of myself and place my hands firmly on the ground. "You're on the other side of the car?"

"Yes." He calls out. I can sense him starting to relax a little, but the smell of blood hits my nose and my panic rises. "Cleo where's mom?"

"I'm on my way Pete. Don't worry." I crawl on all fours, cutting my knees and hands on bits of broken glass, to get to him. I completely ignore his question about mom. I don't want my thoughts to be true. It can't be true. "I'm almost there Pete."

I round the car and see his red face. He's got a cut on his cheek and bits of glass from the window throughout his hair. The door that was meant to protect him from the elements is what is pinning him to the ground now.

"Hi Pete."

"Hi Cleo." He attempts a grin. I can see that his entire body is underneath the door and that in order for his body to start healing I'm going to have to lift the door off of him.