Turmoil

"My brother gave you what?" I asked, turning to face the blonde. We were in Caroline's room, the day of the ball fast approaching.

I had filled everyone in on what happened, with the help of Bonnie who explained the magic involved. Yet, none of us were certain of whether Esther's intentions were as good as she was saying. I was supposed to be picking up Caroline and heading to The Grill to meet Elena for lunch. And yet, she invited me inside to show me something. Something bad, apparently.

"A bracelet" Caroline replied, passing me a small black box. I opened it carefully, my eyes widening in shock as the light bounced off the diamonds in front of me, a multitude of colours shimmering across the wall. "...And a dress" she continued, her voice amounting to a mumble as she nodded towards the large box on her bed.
"Oh... he has lost his bloody mind" I sighed, shaking my head and passing the box back before placing my hands on my hips. "He definitely fancies you, incase you're wondering".
"Can you not tell him to stop?!" Caroline asked in bewilderment.

I snorted at that, before noticing the serious expression on her face.
"I... don't think so?" I scrunched my face up in confusion, earning a frustrated groan from Caroline. "I mean, I'll try, but if I know my brother, and I'm sorry to say I do... nothing I can say will have any affect".
"It's so creepy" Caroline groaned again, sitting down heavily on the bed with a shudder.
"Well, I'm afraid that's just the Mikaelson way, love" I winked, mimicking my brothers nickname, earning a laugh from Caroline.

"Anyways, enough about Klaus..." Caroline sighed, wrinkling her nose slightly at my brothers name. "how are things with you and Damon?".
"Yeah, we're... good". I replied, sighing as I got up again to head downstairs.
"Uh oh" Caroline leaned forward, grabbing her bag "you paused, she paused! Why did you pause?".
"I didn't!" I laughed, scrunching up my face in disbelief, too lightly to be believed judging by the expressions on her face.
"Has something happened?" she asked.
"No!" I said, almost too quickly, "god, no, if anything it's the opposite".
"What's that supposed to mean?". I could hear Caroline's voice behind me as we walked out of the house together.

"I..." my face reddened slightly as I struggled for words, my grip tightening on the handle of the car door.
"Oh come on, you're like a billion years old" said Caroline, reaching the passenger side. "Relationships are always the same, so what's the problem?".
"Nothing, there's no problem! that's the thing" I responded, before clambering into the car. "I mean, it's Damon". I let out a groan, before turning to Caroline as she sat next to me. "He's impulsive, stupidly arrogant and he makes me want to scream sometimes, he just... I just...".
"You love him" Caroline interjected. "But you haven't told him have you?".

I opened my mouth to reply, taken aback slightly by the sincerity of her sudden conclusion, before I closed it once more.
"I mean" I gulped, "I feel like what we had in 1864 was this simple, easy thing... but now, it's messy, complicated and it hurts" I sighed.
"That's because it's real" she said, as if it were obvious.

I shot her a pointed look, before rolling my eyes. And yet, I couldn't shake the feeling that she was right.
"I just hate it because I feel so... overwhelmed and I..." my breath hitched in my throat as I struggled for words. "I don't know how to say it".

The smile faded from Caroline's face, concern washing over her as the two of us sat in the car in silence.
"In all honesty" She started, "When I first met Damon... he was a douche. A mega douche. And don't get me wrong, I still think he is one" she added lightly. "But the way he looks at you, I swear it's like something out of a cheesy romance movie, like... every girl wants to be looked at that way" she said softly, catching me by surprise.

"Im sure you're exaggerating" I laughed, the smile not quite reaching my eyes as I remembered the last cheesy romance she had forced me to endure. "I just... don't want to screw it up" I admitted.
"See this is exactly your problem" the blonde groaned. "You're afraid of screwing up. Have you guys even, y'know...?" She wiggled her eyebrows at me suggestively. "Oh my god" she mumbled, her hands flying over her mouth. "You haven't done it yet!".