Chapter 10 - Appearances

XIMENA

The family didn't trust Jack's actions or the reason why he took the handyman job. It was without a doubt the reason they sent Clarissa, the youngest granddaughter, to the bed and breakfast. She'd been glued to him the whole day, feigning being ignorant about the chores around the property. Until he asked her to hand him a basin wrench and she knew exactly what he was talking about. Caught, she excused herself to meet with her grandmother.

With each day that goes by I'm reassured that moving to Lonstino was a good decision. I plotted all the chapters for this book and I'm taking my sweet time writing the story. Laura will be excited to know that I'll have something to show her soon. We've called and exchanged emails since I got settled and she even mentioned that I sounded different and hopeful. She also told me about the dress she'll wear to the upcoming Book Ball and I feel jealous. That was my favorite event to attend, where I got to mingle with other writers and exchange views on the business. Choosing what to wear always felt like the most important decision of my life and Laura was always there for me with good advice.

A soft knock on the door takes my attention away from my laptop and I know it's Greg. I've told him that I don't have the habit of walking around naked so I'm always ready to receive him, but he's just too polite.

"Come in!" I shout in the direction of the door.

"Hey! I just got a call from Jaden that your car is ready," he says, sporting a sweet smile. "Do you want me to bring you there to pick it up? I have to be at the university around noon and can drop you at his garage on my way there."

"That is the best news! I'm so sorry for using you as a taxi driver since I got here. Did he say how much the repairs cost?"

"No, he didn't say it on the phone."

"Okay, I will wrap things here, change into decent clothes and come downstairs."

Saving a document had never taken so long for my taste, and after throwing on the first clothes I grabbed, I met with Greg downstairs. I miss my independence and even though the public transport is reliable around here, it doesn't bring me far away enough. 

Jaden's garage is located in a nice neighborhood on the other side of the town. Greg takes a turn into a side street and stops in front of a wide building with three garage doors. Two of them are open and I see my car parked in one. After thanking him for the ride, I walk inside. The place smells of grease, but things look organized and fairly clean.

A pair of scuffed boots and long legs stick out from under a car.

"Jaden? Is that you under there?" I yell, competing with the music of the radio nearby.

"Who else?" He rolls out from under the car. "Oh, it's you. I didn't recognize your voice."

He stands up, wearing a blue jumpsuit with the top part hanging loosely around his waist, and turns the radio off. The deep v-neck of the dark gray t-shirt he wears shows more of his tattoos as well as the short sleeves let me see the ones on his arms. He has a greasy smear on his forehead and his hands are also covered with it.

"Greg said that my car is ready."

"Yeah, apologies for the long wait. I had to order parts and deliveries to Lonstino usually take forever. It purrs like a kitten now and should be good for another couple of years. That is if you remember to give it maintenance," he teases as he washes his hands.

Jaden hands me an invoice that he picks from a pile of ordered papers and I'm surprised that it is less than I had estimated. I write him a check and he gives me the keys together with some warranty papers. He then leans on the hood of the car he had been working on and looks shy and awkward.

"Why are you nice to me when we are alone and act like a dick in front of other people?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" He avoids my gaze, even when I'm standing right in front of him.

"You are cocky in front of Charlie and Brian."

He moves away and sorts the already organized paperwork. "I just need to keep my reputation in front of the guys, okay?"

"Why? For what I've heard, these guys have been your friends since you were kids. They know you well enough."

"I'm not going into a sentimental crap discussion with you. I know you write those little books that women drool over and I don't want to end up plastered as a character in one of your stories. Life is full of rough shit and nothing is like the things you write," he answers roughly.

"And now you even insult what I do for a living!" I raise my arms in frustration. "I was hoping we could be friends, but I see it's pointless."

"I'm sorry," he holds my arm as I turn around. "I'm sorry, okay? I don't mean half of the things I say," he rakes his fingers through his hair.

"If there's any moment to explain it is now, or I'll get in that car and the chance will be lost."

Jaden's expression changes to one of pain. He hesitates to speak and I give him the opportunity to gather his thoughts.

"I've had a shitty life and made bad decisions when I was younger. I paid for everything I did, but people still judge me based on my past. I need to act tough. It's the only way people around here respect me, just by giving a hint that I'm someone they shouldn't mess with."

"That's cryptic talk, Jaden."

"I will take you out tomorrow for dinner and tell you about it. I'll be at Greg's at seven," he says in a hurry and walks away as a customer enters the garage.

He's tricked me into a date and didn't give me the chance to decline. Defeated, I sit in my car and turn the engine on, not only does it run smoothly, he's cleaned the car completely. Jaden stares at me as I back away from the garage. I should be feeling angry about the situation, but there's much more to him and I want to find it out.

Thanks to my bus adventures I have a good idea of the town's layout and make it back to Harbor Street without a problem. As I close the car, I watch the Ferris wheel in the distance and it makes me smile. I should give Brian a visit soon. The time I spent with him made me feel comfortable and genuinely happy, as if I belonged, as if I was family. It's the same I experience with Greg. Whenever possible, we have dinner together and I enjoy his intelligent conversation. He's read an impressive amount of books and is always up to date with politics and world affairs. Other days, we just sit next to each other in comfortable silence as we watch TV, only for it to be interrupted by our laughter. Greg is the brother that I always wished for and I hope our relationship will continue even with the distance.

My gaze then moves to the café. I've seen Charlie a few times, but our interaction has been brief and on the edge of awkwardness. He's a kind and nurturing man, something I've surely missed in my life, but it isn't my intention to stay in Lonstino after my main book draft is finished.

Last Saturday, I saw Lewis at the pier during the market. It was interesting to watch him from a distance. He was busy serving his customers and packing baked goods, totally in control, and the look suited him. When he's around me he seems nervous and lost, almost uncomfortable. At least that's what I experienced after I kissed his cheek at the pizza restaurant. We made conversation, mostly originated by Greg, but then he would stay quiet, staring at the table or keeping busy with his sons. Those kids have gotten hold of my heart and maybe I should keep my distance for fear of missing them enormously when I leave.

I head up the stairs towards my apartment and as I place my keys on the table, my thoughts go to Jaden. My feelings are jumbled right now with a mix of curiosity about what he has to share and anxiety about going out on a date with a man who can be sweet one moment and a rude ass the next. He didn't say where we are going tomorrow or what we'll do and I can pretend that I don't care, but I do.

After typing an email to Laura with my latest chapter for feedback I decide to lay down on the couch to rest. Plot lines and characters keep waking me up at night most days and I find it difficult to fall asleep again when I'm excited about what I'll write next. It doesn't take long for my eyes to feel heavy and I embrace the rest I need.