Chapter Forty

"I'm sorry ... what?" George asked.

"Can you be more specific," Aubrey managed to reply, as it was technically the truth.

"You know what ... I'm your type?" George repeated, his harsh tone laced with genuine bewilderment, "So, what ... do you ... er, fancy me?"

"Um ... fancy is an ambiguous word..." Aubrey murmured.

"AUBREY!" George said with unexpected volume making the other two jump slightly, "Sorry, I shouldn't have raised my voice - "

"No, you shouldn't have," Fred replied, "That terrified the living daylights out of me."

George ignored him, blinking a few times as he continued in his attempts to process the situation. Even though Aubrey had skirted around the question, her avoidance said more than any words could have done. Surprisingly, she didn't seem to be devastated, standing there with her eyes wide and glazed: Fred deduced that she was probably still in shock and the awful realisation was still to come.

"But ... but you're in the body of my twin brother - " He leapt back suddenly, clasping his hands over his mouth, "Oh Merlin's beard ... you're in a body that looks like me ... oh Merlin, have you ... er ... done stuff with it?"

"George! The other two exclaimed in surprise as George raised his hands.

"What? Isn't that what most people would do?"

The awfulness had suddenly dawned on Aubrey who was suddenly curled up on the bed, softly muttering to herself. Abruptly, she looked up, her eyes wide and earnest, "Well, hon, I guess I'm not most people. I have done no such thing, me and Fred agreed at the beginning to be respectful ... I mean, obviously, I have to shower, hon, but even then I am so good!"

"And this is Veritaserum talking so it must be true," Fred added, feeling a wash of relief at words for multiple reasons.

Despite her words of reassurance, George still looked bewildered, looking around in short, sharp gestures as different ideas moved through his brain.

"Is ... this is a big thing?"

"Yes!" Aubrey huffed, burying her head in her knees.

"How big?"

What came next was inaudible to everyone, as Aubrey had managed to lower her voice to a new softness and had directed the words into her knees. 

"Sorry?" George said, "Speak up."

"No," She shook her head, "I've realised, this truth serum can make me say the truth but it can't force me to let it be heard. I've found a loophole and I am not giving it up."

Nobody had much to say after this, George trying to figure out how creeped out he should be, Aubrey wishing she could vanish and Fred trying to figure out if there was any way he could help the girl he liked. Of course, Lee chose this time to stick his around the door, at peek awkwardness, with a whole new problem of his own.

"You liars! Angelina wasn't even there and Alicia was wearing a jumper ... two jumpers 'cos of the cold!" He suddenly noticed the clear discomfort, "Oh ... am I interrupting something? What's happened?"

"The worst thing ever!" Aubrey wailed, earning an odd look from Lee.

"Bit melodramatic, Fred."

"I'm not Fred," She whispered, "I'm - "

"LEE!" Fred suddenly shouted, speaking so loud that nobody, not even Aubrey heard herself speak. This only succeeded in making Lee, even more, unnerved, looking between the three of them as he slowly closed the door.