Chapter Nine

Aiden made sure to check the cabin before he practiced violin, though he didn't get much time to do that anyway. Connor and Evie kept him busy. He didn't mind. He had all summer to practice.

On the third day they finally spent a night inside. There wasn't any satellite connection, but there were movies. Mandy had bought a few for each of the cabins. They all agree on 'The Mummy'.

"He was so attractive back then" Evie sighed. "Connor get us a blanket."

Connor was just after putting a bowl of popcorn down. "How about someone else gets it?"

"You're already up" Evie snuggled against Aiden's side, and he checked that Connor wasn't annoyed. Connor just rolled his shoulders and disappeared into his room.

"He's such a good boy." Evie whispered.

Aiden cracked a smile.

Connor threw the blanket from his bed over them, and then got the one from Aiden's room too. Evie had stretched out to take his spot, and he had to squeeze into a place at the end of the couch.

He and Connor talked a bit, but their commentary on the movie was hushed by Evie. The second movie was the same, 'The Mummy Returns', except Evie fell asleep, sprawled out on Aiden's lap.

"Those guys are creepy." Connor remarked about the enemy army. Humanoid dogs. Taller than people and running with their leg joints in weird places.

"Yeah." Aiden agreed.

Connor rested his head against Aiden's shoulder. Aiden frowned for a moment, but didn't mind.

He made it to the credits.

He knew another movie would just put him asleep. "Should we move Evie to one of the beds?"

Connor didn't answer. Aiden glanced down, and found him asleep.

He reached for the remote and clicked the tv off. He rested his head on the back of the couch, but even if he'd felt like dozing off during the movie he didn't feel like that now.

He wasn't sure why he couldn't sleep. He didn't mind them leaning on him. But he couldn't relax enough to let his brain turn off. He stared at the wooden boards going across the ceiling and drummed his fingers, going through the songs he needed for his audition.

The door handle slowly turned and it the front door creaked open.

Aiden twisted his head around to see the trio tip toeing in. Hugh spotted him, and scowled. Kal raised an eyebrow at the sleeping bodies. Lucas leaned over the back of the couch.

"Do you need help?" Lucas asked softly.

"I don't want to wake them." Aiden looked at him upside down. It was odd. Different. It may have been the ache in his neck, or his tired eyes that made Lucas look so... Aiden wanted to turn away.

"Connor can..." Lucas eyes flicked to Evie and trailed off. "Can I get you anything?"

"Just flick off the lights" Aiden answered.

Lucas nodded.

Aiden noticed Hugh watching them and looked away.

"Night" Lucas said.

Their doors clicked into place, and Connor moved his face so he could look down the hall. "What was he going to say? Connor can what?"

"Move." Aiden replied.

"Grumpy" Evie commented.

"Have you both just been pretending to sleep?" Aiden grumbled. He wasn't annoyed. But for some reason his interaction with Lucas had felt weird. He didn't like that they'd heard it.