Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 3

Walking home was one of my favorite parts of my day.  It gave me a chance to plug my headphones into my phone and listen to some music that one of my friends up in New York had created and uploaded to a music sharing website. 

A vast majority of the kids who wrote their own music and sang used it to upload new music to see how it would fare with their audience and although my friend's hadn't garnered much buzz as of yet, I was doing what I could do help her go forward. 

I had tried to post some of my own music on the website as well, but after what happened I just couldn't bring myself to look at anything music related.  I was glad that the theater auditions ran over and I didn't have to try out that day, and I told the teacher I just wanted to be a stage hand.  She seemed disappointed because of my musical background but didn't press the issue and I thankfully escaped that class unscathed.

I bonded with one other person over the course of the entire school day, the girl who had done an amazing job performing in theater class, and I realized that she was a girl I vaguely remembered from when I had previously gone to school there and she was sort of an outcast like me, only she didn't have a popular friend like I did, she was completely on the outside.

Dark brown hair, almost black, I recalled how she laughed at my expression when I saw her outfit for the first time.  Let's just say there was a very profane statement written on it and one of the letters had a piece of duct tape over it.

"I like it!" I had said, trying to convince even myself I realized.

She just laughed and waved her hand in a manner that said she didn't mind.

"No worries.  You didn't turn your nose up at it, so that means we're going to be fast friends."

A genuine smile overtook my face when she said that and admired her short almost pixie cut hair that was about a million times darker than my own strawberry blonde shade.

"I'm Eva," she had told me and I instantly liked her even more.  Eva was the name of my great grandmother who had passed away when I was little, but I always remembered her giving me extra treats when my parents weren't looking.

"I love that name.  I'm Caroline," I told her, handing out my hand for her to take.

She surprised me by foregoing my handshake and pulled me into a hug.

"I already know who you are, girl.  You're famous around these parts."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"And why is that, exactly?"

"Well...you know...you basically called the King of the school an asshole..."

My eyebrows shot up at that statement.

"King of the school?  When I left he was barely apart of the popular crowd.  Kieran didn't even care about anyone but himself.  And anyways, he deserved it, knocking me to the ground like that!"

My outburst caused the middle aged scruffy bearded teacher whose name I could not remember for the life of me to shoot me an evil glare and a very loud "SHHHHH!"

My cheeks basically became flammable after that happened but we continued speaking in more hushed tones.

"Yeah, he may have been uncaring before you left, but like you, people change.  He really did when he went away somewhere for a whole year, it happened like right after you left.  Apparently he got into fights and did some illegal stuff, and he ended up in a place for troubled teens or somewhere instead of going to jail.  It was a huge thing!"

"Wow.  So then, when he came back he was just suddenly popular?"

It didn't make much sense.  Usually people wanted to stay away from people like that.  He was practically a convict.