Chapter 20: Tattoo trouble Pt. 1

You guys will think I'm overreacting, but ever since things had kind of fixed up with my parents I felt like something had started to rot. They had a talk with me, saying that they wanted things to be better between us, and so they said that before winter break we'd spend a couple weeks in London. They had some business going on there, and they wanted to take me to share a little family time. Me? Well I wasn't too excited but come on people, it was London. Sure as hell I was in that trip. And right after that, I'd have a couple days to relax during winter break in my comfortable cabin in the mountains.

Still it wasn't all that bad. The relationship was working, we were getting along, and that kept Paul happy. He knew how much this meant to me, even when I wouldn't admit it to myself. Hell that man knows me better than myself, or that's what he claims at least. We had really gotten to bond in this year and a half, and I couldn't imagine breaking apart from him when I finish high school. I shook my head to scare those thoughts that threatened with the impending end of all things really soon. I still had a lot of time to enjoy high school, so why to bother? I could still enjoy hanging out with my best friends, relaxing and talking about private stuff only we could understand. There was a specific topic I had in mind, but I still couldn't find the right words to bring my question to them. It'd eventually come out, so I didn't worry about it too much.

"Yes mom, I got to Valerie's safely" I replied to the phone as my best friend opened the door and lead me inside. I rolled my eyes at her to cue her how I felt about my parents being a pain on the ass. I tried my best to resist the urge to snap at my mom for being so annoying, but I had promised to myself I'd show myself patient with them. Nobody ever told me it'd be this hard though. "Yeah I'll meet you guys at dinner. See you later"I said and quickly hung up the phone, fearing my mom could go on for hours like that.

"So, how are things going?" Jazz smirked at my exhausted expression.

"Worse before it gets any better. They call me all day long" I admitted to the snickering faces in front of me. I guess they were more used to having concerned parents, so I just had to ask. "Do your parents really bother you this much?" I said hoping the answer would be a no, that only my parents can become such worrywarts in a couple of days.

"Having parents it's not easy. Believe me" Valerie said with an eye roll, probably going through her head all the times her parents had been on her back, telling her to get home early, brush her teeth, eat healthy... there's so much stuff parents can be annoying about.

We plopped ourselves in the couches around the tv but never laid eyes on it. It was just noise in case our conversation turns quiet at some point. Or maybe it was just the habit, I don't know. I picked at my cuticles while I continued with the previous topic, with my girls relaxing right next to me. School could be exhausting, especially when you leave all your homework for the last minute like me.

"Yeah well, it's not like they tell me what to do or anything. Paul's still in charge of that department" I exhaled loudly while combing my hair backwards, growing tired by the second. "It's nice that they're paying a little more attention to me anyways. We'll have to see how long that goes on" I said showing myself skeptical to my parents attitude.

"Have a little faith. You don't lose anything with spending a little time with them" Jazz said and I found some logic in her words. I didn't have to do much for this relationship to work, just hang in there and do my best not to get bitchy with them. That should be enough.

"Meh I guess. They've been bugging me all morning about a 'family dinner' tonight" I said making quote marks as I showed myself more annoyed than excited for tonight plans. Family time wasn't exactly on my to do list, but now it was unavoidable.

"Ooh. Maybe they want to talk about your trip to London" Valerie elbowed me while wiggling her eyebrows to me, a spark present in her eyes. They both had been bouncing on the walls ever since I told them my parents had planned to spend a few weeks in London and I was invited to join them. Just for a week or so, because I had school and Paul wouldn't have me ditching for so long. Stupid responsible teacher.