Chapter Eight "Included"

I didn't go down to supper that night.  In fact I didn't even open my door until I was certain that everyone was already in bed.  When I tiptoed into the hallway I was surprised to find the stack of books from the library were sitting outside of my room.  Only Percival knew about them, so he must have left them for me.  It made my heart ache to keep reminding myself that nothing could possibly be between us.  I wanted to confront Patience to find out why, she did marry into our family after all, what would be so bad about having it happen again.  Then I remembered that it's not our family so much as me.

            I was able to gather a few things from the kitchen without waking anyone, including one of the treacle tarts.  I sat at my window and looked towards the sky as I ate my meager dinner.  The moon shone brightly and I followed its rays down into the garden.  From the angle it looked as if it would illuminate the exact area where the heart was carved into the tree.  I wondered if my parents had done that deliberately.  As I contemplated to myself I noticed a figure on the bench below.  I turned down my light and stood behind the curtain, watching as the person lifted a small lantern closer to their face, it was Percival.  He stood there for a moment and then returned inside.  My fingers traced over my lips remembering his kiss, then it occurred to me that he said he knew this was my window.

            Morning came cruelly as I was forced awake by anxious knocking at my door; it was Faith, dressed finely and ready for the day.  "I thought you'd want to start dressing," she said looking over me, "we'll be leaving for the dressmaker after breakfast."

            "We?" I asked groggily, "You mean you and Patience, right?"

            "No, Miss Woodbridge, you are coming along today."

            "I am?" I asked remembering the look on Patience's face last night.  I would have thought she'd rather send me back home to Freddie before taking me along on any of her excursions.

            Faith had a little smirk on her face, "I don't think it was meant to be an invitation, so I suggest you hurry."  She left my door and disappeared down the hall.  I wasn't sure how to take her tone, it's not like we've spent much time chatting.  I stopped wondering and quickly washed up so I could get ready.

            "Good morning," I greeted as I entered the dining room finding only Faith and Patience at the table.

            Patience nodded in my direction, "Good morning, Margaret.  I'm glad to see you up and ready so early."  I looked questioningly to Faith, didn't Patience send her to wake me?  I could not read her expression as she still had that queer smile on her face.  "Have some breakfast and then we'll be off."

            "Yes, Patience," I answered as a plate was set in front of me.  There was little talk at the table this morning and I found my eyes drifting to the seat Percival usually occupied.  I wanted to inquire about his absence but I thought better of it.

            I decided to do my best in regard to Patience and I would comply with her wishes.  Perhaps if she noticed that I was being agreeable she wouldn't look at me with such contempt in her eyes.  My fingers found the tiny locket around my neck and I tried to remember the Patience of old, the Patience Freddie had married.  "Will we be visiting many sights today?" I asked as I finished my tea.

            "We are seeing the dressmaker today," Patience said standing, "Faith and I decided you need to freshen your wardrobe a bit."  I followed them from the dining room and looked over my dress, even stopping at the mirror in the hallway to get a better look.  While I am sure it's not the most fashionable dress in London, it was one of my favorites.  Emily and I picked it out together at the shop in the village, it's a lovely shade of cornflower blue that nearly matched her eyes but she was certain it looked better on me.  "Don't pout now, Margaret," Patience sighed as she helped me with my bonnet, "what young lady of your standing wouldn't love to go dress shopping?"

            "My standing?" I asked as I pulled on my pelisse.

            "Yes, dear," she said in a false kind of sincerity, "your family is of good fortune and your uncle is a lord after all."

            "Uncle Arthur?" I asked, "But that has nothing to do with me . . . "  The words trailed off as my thoughts moved to Percival, she just acknowledged our family is of good standing.  Why was she so adamant against . . . me?

            "But it is a favorable connection," Faith said standing at the door, "it will certainly help in the right circles."  I just nodded as I followed them outside to the carriage. I remained quiet and pretended to listen as Faith and Patience pointed out important things during our ride.  Well, not so much important things as important people.  We had passed an ornate carriage and they decided it must be a visiting ambassador because even the driver had an exotic air about him.  Unfortunately my lack of awe over it earned some head shaking in my direction.

            "Is that Percy?" Faith asked as we took a corner and entered the shopping district.

            Patience leaned close to the window and I tried to look without appearing that I was.  "Whatever is he doing here?" she asked, "I thought he had an appointment with his captain."  When she turned to me I nervously plucked a thread from the lace of my mother's gloves that I had stashed in my reticule.  "Perhaps he just needed some supplies," she observed sitting back into her seat, keeping an eye on me.

            I took a deep breath when the carriage stopped and Patience quickly ushered me into the shop.  Once the bell on the door rang there were several people flocking towards us, all talking too fast for me to follow.  "We're here to outfit my sister this time," Patience smiled taking a seat by a large mirror, "she's too used to living in the country to be properly dressed for London."  I wanted to glare at her but I moved to a stool in front of the mirror as the tailors and seamstresses measured, poked and pinched me.

            "How is this?" Faith asked bringing a bolt of soft pink fabric with tiny flowers stitched onto it.

            "That is lovely," Patience said running a hand over the cloth, "I'm sure they could make something very fetching with that.  What do you think, Margaret?"

            "It's pink," I replied.  I had nothing against the color, but I hardly wore it.

            "It's a lovely color on you," Patience said with a huff, "just set that one aside, Faith."  I was shocked for a moment, did Patience just give me a compliment?  For the rest of the day I second guessed everything I said, thinking it over so it I could provide Patience with more favorable answers.  Honestly I wasn't asked many questions after that, instead I was more like a doll being looked at and draped with fabric and posed.

            The hours passed slowly and I was still on the stool.  It wasn't until Faith commented that it was nearing tea time that Patience talked of anything aside from dresses.  "Oh, well then I guess we are done here . . . for now," she smiled at me as she stood, "Come along, Margaret."  With that everyone stepped away from me and one of the tailors helped me down from my perch.  "When will these be ready?" Patience asked stepping up to an older round woman that sat behind the desk.  The woman responded so quickly and so quietly that it all sounded like gibberish.  All I heard was Patience saying "Very well, thank you for seeing us on such short notice," as she handed the woman a small pouch of coins.

            The ride back to our townhouse was quiet and I was happy to be away from the shops, when the carriage stopped, I was the only one getting out.  "Are you not coming?" I asked.

            "Faith and I have an invitation to tea this afternoon," Patience answered, "We will be home for supper."  The driver closed the carriage door and soon they were off down the street, I stood there for a moment before I heard our man clear his throat as he was waiting at the door for me.