25. Afternoon tea.

"It's not going to change anything, you know", said Casper while Wren looked around the herbs and spice shop. "Art won't surrender to the possibility that he's gay, although I seem to have missed his aversion when he marked you in a most intimate spot."

"I think the thought of being dominated frightens him more than intimacy with a man", Wren answered, subconsciously rubbing his thigh.

"Isn't it a better idea to focus on that point? Try and change his misinterpretation about the power- exchange during sex?", Casper argued.

"You have a very wise wolf", Wren heard behind him.

An older version of the woman who helped him last time smiled at him.

"Can you hear him?" he asked surprised.

"Hear him? No. But I am able to sense his presence."

She cocked her head and scanned his aura.

"It must be a special mission you're on if you're able to bypass my mothers spell."

Wren shook his head.

"I don't understand."

Her eyes glanced at the very prominent 'closed' sign on the door.

"Fate has brought you to us at a most opportune time. It is extremely rare for three generation of blood-related witches to be under the same roof", she said gesturing him to follow her.

Wren frowned at those words and felt Casper agree.

She led him to an enclosed garden where two women were drinking tea. Both looked up, but only one was surprised.

"Let me introduce you to my mother Vivianna, my daughter Cassandra and I am Cadence."

Wren bowed.

"I am Orlando Wren, Captain of the Imperial Guard."

He nodded to Cassandra.

"We've met before."

"Yes", she answered cautiously. "I remember."

Wren scraped his throat.

"I originally came with the intent to purchase another vial of heat-reducing potion, since the first batch was lost, but maybe it's time for something else."

The relieve on Cassandras face was obvious and she leaped at the opportunity to redeem her mistake.

"Whatever you need, Captain."

"Then first he will have to find out what he needs, don't you, Captain Wren?" Vivianna smiled, slowly swirling her teacup.

"I'm here to find relieve for the ailment of another, not my own", he stated.

She smiled.

"Are you sure?"

Before he could answer she raised her hand.

"I'm afraid we have you at a disadvantage. My granddaughters talents lie with potions and spells. My daughter can see and feel beyond the corporeal realm and as for myself; I tell fortunes."

Both younger women raised their eyebrows. 'Why did the most powerful witch alive declare herself to be no more than a circus-act?'

"Would you like to shed some light on the situation, Cadence", Vivianna asked her daughter.

Cadence walked towards Wren and gave him an reassuring smile.

"Know that you are safe here, Captain. No harm will come to the both of you."

Before Wren could respond she had placed a hand on his head. To his great astonishment he saw a projection of Casper standing in front of him.

"Tell us what you need", Vivianna asked Casper.

"Our human mate has difficulty adapting to our mating bond. He is in heat right now and we both feel strongly against forcing our mark on him. We would like to give him the opportunity to discover what his true feelings are, free from his connection to my mate and whatever destiny lies before us."

Vivianna nodded.

"Thank you, Casper", Cadence said before removing her hand from Wrens head.

The image of Casper flickered and disappeared.

"Would you not rather have a spell that guarantees his obedience?" Vivianna smiled.

Wren barked out a cynical laugh.

"Tempting, but no. I want a partner, not a puppet."

"Good", she nodded and waved him closer. "You can delight me with some Castle gossip while my granddaughter prepares your potion."

So for the next few hours both Wren and Casper spend their time in pleasant conversation.

When Cassandra finally appeared with a small vial he raised his eyebrows.

"What exactly does it do?" he asked.

"It will unveil the true desire of his heart."

She extended the vial laying in the palm of her hand for him to take.

"Please know that now it's up to him, he may reject you."

"I know", Wren answered without batting an eye. "But if this gives him the answers he so desperately seeks then so be it."

After Wren left the shop Cassandra returned to her mother and grandmother.

"Why did you conceal the fact that you are the seer who made the prophecy?"

Vivianna smiled.

"I foretold the destination. The road to get there is of their own choice."

On his way to the tavern Wren couldn't help but finger the vial in his pocket.

"Why are you still questioning this? We are helping Art to see past the clutter and make his own choice", Casper said. "And at great risk to ourselves, if I may add."

Somehow the risk didn't faze Wren in the least. All he could hear were the words 'true desire' and felt drawn to whatever that would entail.

"I'm not doubting the decision to do this. I just hope to support him in whatever struggles he will face."

"Then why all this insecurity?" Casper asked and then laughed when the answer hit him. "You love him, don't you? Just like I love Charlotte."

Wren took the vial from his pocket.

"No matter what the truth is, all will be revealed tomorrow."