Chapter 3

"What? Since when?" Adeline questioned. "What happened?"

"Adeline, calm down," Bucky said, holding her shoulders. "She's alright for now, but I don't know how long she's gonna hold on. She's real sick, Adi."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Adeline accused.

"I just found out this morning and I wanted you to hear it from Steve," Bucky said. "Plus, I didn't want you to worry."

"Well, I'm worried now," Adeline said.

"I know, I know," Bucky said, running a hand through his hair.

"Can we visit her?" Adeline questioned. "We should go."

"Adeline, no, I tried," Bucky said, gripping her wrist. "They're only letting family in."

"We are family, Buck," Adeline said.

"I know, but the doctors don't see it that way," Bucky responded, his calm blue eyes boring into her chocolate ones. "The best thing we can do right now is support Steve." Adeline huffed, nodding numbly.

"What happens if she doesn't make it?" Adeline whispered. Bucky pulled Adeline in for a hug, rubbing her back.

"We just have to be there for Steve no matter what happens, alright?" Bucky said. Adeline nodded her head against Bucky's chest. His scent enveloped her, making her feel at home and safe.

|Thursday, October 15, 1936|

Steve came home to find Adeline and Bucky asleep on his couch, their bodies pressed up against one another. He didn't want to wake them up with the bad news. He was right there when her hand fell from his, her heart finally stopping, giving in. He would've sat there all night if it meant his mother was still alive.

"Steve," Bucky greeted in a soft morning voice.

"Hey, Buck," Steve greeted, hanging up his coat.

"How is she?" Bucky asked, carefully moving Adeline so she wouldn't wake up. Steve didn't want to tell him. In Bucky's world, Sarah was still alive.

"She's gone," Steve's voice broke, his eyes welling up with warm tears.

"Steve, I'm so sorry," Bucky said, wrapping his arms around his small friend who hadn't yet cried for his late mother.

"We can stay if you'd like," Bucky said.

"You don't have to, I can get by," Steve said, wiping tears from his eyes.

"We're your friends, of course we have to," Bucky said. "Go get some sleep. It's been a long day." Steve didn't have the energy to argue. He simply sauntered to his room, crashing on the lumpy bed. His clothes still smelled like the hospital room, sending another wave of grief over him.

Bucky walked back to the couch, bending down next to Adeline as he rubbed her shoulder gently, slowly waking her up. Her eyes fluttered open to meet Bucky's blue eyes.

"Buck? What time is it?" Adeline asked, sitting up slowly.

"Three," Bucky said. "Steve just got back. Sarah's gone." Adeline gasped, tears filling her eyes, pulling Bucky in for a tight hug. He rubbed her back in comforting circles as she cried quietly into his shoulder.

|Sunday, October 18, 1936|

It was the day of the funeral and Adeline wore a black dress while Bucky and Steve wore their best suits. Adeline sat between Bucky and Steve, holding onto their hands, swallowing the rising lump in her throat. She stared at the ground as the pastor went on with his eulogy. She soon canceled out the pastor's voice and Adeline sat in a saddened silence. Bucky began rubbing circles against the back of Adeline's hand as quiet tears rolled down her rosy cheeks.