Chapter 41 - Luna

"In my defense," I say to Krys. "I wasn't told when I needed to wake up."

"Of course you weren't," she says mockingly. "God-forbid we wake up Axel's precious Mia."

"He tells you guys not to wake me up?" I can't even hide the smile growing on my face.

She holds the steering wheel with a death grip. "Is that really all you heard?"

"Hey." I put my hands up in defense. "I said I was sorry. It's not like I want you guys to be stuck watching me all the time."

She waves me off. "That's not it. It's normal for werewolves to protect their luna while she sleeps."

"Then what—" I start.

She cuts me off. "We're just supposed to do it from the comfort of our pack house. Not out in the woods all night in the dark and the cold and the nastiness."

I sit back in my seat, trying to process what she's saying. "So... You want me to move into your pack house?"

She gives me an award-winning smile. "There ya go. What a great idea, Luna."

"Wait, what?" I wasn't serious!

She keeps talking. "I'll tell the brothers now so they can help you pack—"

"Stop it." Brittany glares at her from the passenger seat.

"What?" Krys asks.

I stare at her wide-eyed. Is she crazy?

Bri looks back at me and sighs. "We know your family would never allow it, so just ignore her."

I nod, liking the sound of that.

Krys hasn't given up though. "You can take Brittany's bed~" she says in a sing-song voice. "And if we get up at 3, we can do the shaving cream prank on Onai. It drives him crazy."

I furrow my brow. "Why 3?"

"Don't ask," Bri says.

Krys gives me the most evil look. "That's the only time he won't wake up from the sound of you walking in."

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up. "W-Why do you know that?" I'm almost afraid of what she'll say.

She smiles again, casually. "Oh, no reason. Just many years of research... Wanna know Carson's time?"

Bri smacks her own forehead. "Why, Krys? Just why?"

But I kind of do wanna know actually. I'm about to tell her as much, but it's too late. We're already there.

Krys pulls up to the front of a very large building. I have to move closer to the window to see the whole thing, and even then, it's still hard to make out. I squint against the sun. "This is City Hall?" I ask.

"Yup." Bri unfastens her seatbelt. "I'll walk you in."

Thankfully.

As we walk up the front steps leading to the entrance, Krys screams through the window, "Think about my offer, Mia. Pack House is where it's at!"

Brittany just shakes her head and keeps walking. I, on the other hand, consider it for a moment. Not moving right now, of course. Just eventually. Maybe when it's time to go off to college or something. Do werewolves even go to college?

"Mia," Bri says.

I look up.

She's holding the door for me.

"Sorry. Thanks." I rush through but stop dead in my tracks when I see all the business suits around me. What is this? I look at her. I look at my clothes. "You didn't tell me I needed to dress professional." I'm in jeans and a t-shirt!